LEBANON, Tenn. – Freshman Nick Henderson shot three-under par 69 in the first round and won low medalist honors by one shot while Cumberland men‘s golf posted a three-shot victory in the team standings on Tuesday at the rain-shortened Georgetown Fall Invitational in Georgetown, Ky.
Monday’s first round was rained out and Tuesday was originally scheduled for 36 holes but that was shortened to 27 late morning on Tuesday.
Henderson carded a three-under score of 69 on the first 18 holes on Tuesday and was two-under through nine later in the day for a 27-hole total of 103, one stroke in front of Georgetown College’s Drake Stepter.
Senior Garrett Daniel posted a one-under 71 in the first round and shot three-over 39 on the last nine holes, tying for eighth with a score of 110 while junior Jacob Nolen recorded a two-over 74 on the opening 18 holes and was one-over on nine for a 27-hole score of 111, tied for 10th.
Sophomore Bryson Smith tied for 25th overall, shooting three-over 75 in the first round and four-over 40 on the final nine holes for a total of 115.
Freshman Adrian Steeger was disqualified after the first round for signing an incorrect scorecard.
As a team Cumberland posted a score of 289 after the first round, leading by four strokes over Midway University. The Phoenix won by three shots in front of the University of the Cumberlands.
Cumberland plays again September 29-30 in the Mid-South Conference Fall Invitational in Prestonsburg, Ky.
1. Nick Henderson – 69-34=103
t8. Garrett Daniel – 71-39=110
t10. Jacob Nolen – 74-37=111
t25. Bryson Smith – 75-40=115
Adrian Steeger – DQ
1. Cumberland University – 289-148=437
2. University of the Cumberlands – 294-146=440
3. Georgetown College – 296-147=443
4. Asbury University – 298-148=446
5. Midway University – 293-154=447
6. Campbellsville University – 304-144=448
7. Oakland City University – 301-156=457
8. Midway University ‘B’ – 298-162=460
9. Georgetown College ‘B’ – 311-161=472
10. Berea College – 337-174=511