November 05, 20151st2ndFinal
Shawnee State011
Cumberland Univ.213
CU-M24:00Owens, Marty (McNamara, Brian )
CU-M32:26Armstrong, Josh
SSU-M47:04Sayer, Martyn (Krivan, Matyas )
CU-M83:56Goodwin, Elliot (Armstrong, Josh )
SSU-MPfeiffer, Brandon90:0032
CU-MStrutz, Bennet90:0015
Stats at a GlanceSSU-MCU-M
Shots (on Goal)11 (6) 16 (5)
Corner Kicks72
Yellow Cards40
Strutz saves the day for men's soccer
Thursday, November 5, 2015
Strutz saves the day for men's soccer
Bennet Strutz's save with 8:55 remaining preserved a one-goal lead in CU's 3-1 victory Thursday over Shawnee State. (Credit Steve Wampler)

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. – Bennet Strutz saved a penalty kick with 8:55 remaining and Elliot Goodwin put home a rebound less than three minutes later in 14th-ranked Cumberland’s 3-1 victory over Shawnee State in the quarterfinals of the Mid-South Conference Men’s Soccer Championships here Thursday at Lovers Lane.

The Bulldogs (17-1-0) advance to Friday’s semifinals to take on 20th-ranked Lindsey Wilson at 5 p.m. CU defeated the Blue Raiders, 2-1, on October 3 in a downpour in Lebanon.

Cumberland scored twice in the opening half, but the Bears pulled within a goal just 2:09 after intermission. The Bulldogs clung to the 2-1 advantage until Cooke Tomlin was called for a handball in the box with 8:55 remaining, giving Shawnee State a golden chance to equalize.

Martyn Sayer took the PK for the Bears and went low-and-left with the shot, but Strutz used all of his 6-foot-6 frame to knock it away and preserve the lead.

Just less than three minutes later, Josh Armstrong took a free kick from 30 yards that nailed the right post but bounced right to the feet of Goodwin just outside the six-yard box. He finished in the 84th minute, his ninth of the year, to give CU some breathing room.

Strutz finished with five saves to up his mark to 16-1-0 in goal this season, while SSU’s Brandon Pfeiffer made two saves while facing 16 total shots.

Goodwin’s shot was saved by Pfeiffer and Brian McNamara’s header went wide right in the first five minutes of the match, but the Bulldogs struggled to maintain possession for the next 10-15 minutes, with the Bears challenging Strutz from distance twice during that time frame.

Cumberland finally broke through at the 24-minute mark, with Goodwin and McNamara fighting for a ball near the top of the box. McNamara gained control and slid a pass to his left for Marty Owens, who beat Pfeiffer low to the far post for his eighth goal of the year.

The Bulldogs struck again in the 33rd minute, with Armstrong’s shot from a bad angle down the leftside sailing just under the crossbar for his seventh goal of the season and a 2-0 CU advantage.

CU nearly added a third goal just before the half, with Kurt Pierce’s arcing shot deflected by Pfeiffer and then off the crossbar. Chuka Aruh’s follow sailed high just before the halftime buzzer.