August 24, 20171st2ndFinal
Christian Brothers022
Cumberland Univ.044
CUMSC45:16Williams, Daniel
CUMSC48:43Williams, Daniel (Watson, Tyler )
CBU54:37Xavi Lao
CUMSC56:06McNamara, Brian
CBU63:20Bernado Ferreira
CUMSC71:27Watson, Tyler
CBUViktor Hoestbo45:0042
CBURicardo Lao45:0001
CUMSCStrutz, Bennet90:0023
Stats at a GlanceCBUCUMSC
Shots (on Goal)7 (5) 13 (7)
Corner Kicks02
Yellow Cards21
Red Cards10
Williams scores twice, Watson adds goal and assist in 4-2 opening win
Thursday, August 24, 2017
Williams scores twice, Watson adds goal and assist in 4-2 opening win
Daniel Williams collected a pair of goals in the first four minutes of the second half in CU's 4-2 victory Thursday over Christian Brothers. (Credit Steve Wampler)

LEBANON, Tenn. – Daniel Williams scored twice in four minutes to start the second half and Tyler Watson added a goal and an assist for Cumberland in a 4-2 victory over Christian Brothers in men’s soccer action here Thursday at Lindsey Donnell Stadium-Kirk Field.

The Phoenix (1-0-0) dominated possession in the first half and missed a couple of good scoring chances but things changed just 16 seconds into the second period.

A miscommunication between a CBU defender and goalkeeper Victor Hoestbo, who had just entered the match, led to a free ball for Williams just inside the top of the box. He fired into an empty net for a 1-0 CU advantage.

Great work down the left side by the freshman Watson set up the second goal. He took on multiple defenders and crossed from just inside the by-line to the top of the six for Williams, who headed in his second goal of the match only 207 seconds later.

A rare occurrence helped the Bucs get back into the match, with Cumberland called for a foul in the box in the 55th minute, but CU’s Bennet Strutz saved Xavi Lao’s penalty kick. On the rebound the Phoenix were called for another penalty, just four seconds later, and Lao converted that PK, cutting the home team’s lead to 2-1.

Christian Brothers returned the favor less than two minutes later with a hand ball on a cross to the back post. The referee and linesman discussed the play before a penalty was awarded and Brian McNamara calmly converted the PK, extending the advantage to 3-1 in the 57th minute.

Cumberland’s miscue in the 64th minute made it a one-goal match again, though, with Strutz dropping a cross in traffic near the top of the box. Bernado Ferreira toe-poked the ball into the empty net for the Bucs.

Watson’s stellar play paid off again for the final goal of the match, with the Simi Valley, Calif., native beating three defenders and firing far post in the 72nd minute for his first goal of the year.

Strutz finished with three saves, none bigger than a point-blank shot at the back post from CBU’s Djordje Djordjovic that could have evened the match at three. Hoestbo posted a pair of saves, both of them preventing Williams from adding to his tally in the second half – one on a long header off a free kick and another from 15 yards that he dove and knocked away.

Cumberland continues a three-match homestand to begin the season on Monday, taking on Midway University at 3 p.m.