CU falls to Martin Methodist
LEBANON, Tenn. – The Cumberland men’s tennis team started strong with a pair of doubles victories but then lost five singles matches in a 6-3 defeat to Martin Methodist Monday at the Gray Memorial Tennis Courts.
It was the second loss for the Bulldogs (3-6) to the RedHawks in the last 10 days, though CU played without No. 1 singles player Na’im Azhar in the March 19 meeting in Pulaski.
Cumberland started with a pair of wins in doubles, with Azhar and Devin Crotzer defeating Vinicius Santos and Alvaro Morcillo, 8-4, at No. 2, and Christhian Hernandez and Jeremy Fleming winning by the same score at No. 3 over Renato Castro and Matthew Dyer. MMC’s Melvin Prada and Juan Suarez posted an 8-5 triumph at No. 1 against Mike Basler and Felipe Oliveira.
The RedHawks won the first five spots in the lineup in singles to take the team victory.
Prada outlasted Azhar, 6-4, 4-6, 6-2, at No. 1, while Santos took a 6-2, 6-2, victory over Basler at No. 2 and Castro posted a 6-4, 7-5, decision against Hernandez at No. 3. Suarez defeated Oliveira, 6-2, 6-3, at No. 4, and the final two matches played pro sets once the outcome was determined.
Cumberland faces Georgetown College, Bethel University and Lindsey Wilson this weekend in Georgetown, Ky.
Martin Methodist 6, Cumberland Univ. 3
1. Melvin Prada (MMC) def. Na’im Azhar (CU), 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
2. Vinicius Santos (MMC) def. Mike Basler (CU), 6-2, 6-2
3. Renato Castro (MMC) def. Christhian Hernandez (CU), 6-4, 7-5
4. Juan Suarez (MMC) def. Felipe Oliveira (CU), 6-2, 6-3
5. Alvaro Morcillo (MMC) def. Jeremy Fleming (CU), 8-4
6. Devin Crotzer (CU) def. Matthew Dyer (MMC), 8-2
1. Prada-Suarez (MMC) def. Basler-Oliveira (CU), 8-5
2. Azhar-Crotzer (CU) def. V. Santos-Morcillo (MMC), 8-4
3. Hernandez-Fleming (CU) def. Castro-Dyer (MMC), 8-4