LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland won all three doubles matches and four of the singles outings, posting a 7-2 victory over Alabama-Huntsville in men’s tennis action Sunday in Huntsville, Ala.
The Bulldogs started with three strong doubles victories, as Evan Sanna and Antonio Manual Marcelo defeated Daniel Canellas and Christopher Kano at No. 1. Pedro Rodrigues and Andres Burgos claimed an 8-2 win at No. 2 against Bruno Medeiros and Marcos Rivera and Devin Crotzer and Jeremy Fleming won by the same score at No. 3 over Guillermo Reyes and Jordan Belcher.
In singles Cumberland claimed three straight-set victories and another in three sets by Rodrigues.
Sanna defeated Canellas, 6-1, 7-5, at No. 1 while Marcelo picked up a 6-3, 6-0, win at No. 2 against Kano and Fleming posted a 6-1, 6-0, triumph at No. 6 over Belcher. Rodrigues lost the first set but came back to defeat Medeiros at No. 3, 4-6, 6-2, 6-2.
Reyes defeated Burgos, 7-6 (1), 6-4, at No. 4 and Rivera won 6-2, 6-2, over Cristhian Hernandez at No. 5.
Cumberland will next play in the ITA Southeast Regionals set for September 29-October 1 in Owensboro, Ky.
Cumberland Univ. 7, Alabama-Huntsville 2
1. Evan Sanna (CU) def. Daniel Canellas (UAH), 6-1, 7-5
2. Manuel Marcelo (CU) def. Christopher Kano (UAH), 6-3, 6-0
3. Pedro Rodrigues (CU) def. Bruno Medeiros (UAH), 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. Guillermo Reyes (UAH) def. Andres Burgos (CU), 7-6 (1), 6-4
5. Marcos Rivera (UAH) def. Cristhian Hernandez (CU), 6-2, 6-2
6. Jeremy Fleming (CU) def. Jordan Belcher (UAH), 6-1, 6-0
1. Sanna-Marcelo (CU) def. Canellas-Kano (UAH), 8-4
2. Rodrigues-Burgos (CU) def. Medeiros-Rivera (UAH), 8-2
3. Devin Crotzer-Fleming (CU) def. Reyes-Belcher (UAH), 8-2