LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland won all six singles matches and a pair of doubles outings, winning its second straight match over a ranked opponent with an 8-1 victory against Webber International on Wednesday in Babson Park, Fla.
The Bulldogs (5-0) defeated 16th-ranked Warner University on Tuesday and completed their Spring Break trip a perfect 3-0 CU returns home next week to face Tennessee Wesleyan on Friday.
CU’s seventh-ranked doubles team of Antonio Manual Marcelo and Evan Sanna defeated Andres Riobueno and Joonas Jalkanen, 8-5, at No. 1 doubles and Devin Crotzer and Na’im Azhar posted an 8-3 victory for the Bulldogs at No. 2 against Carl Ackered and Tyler Heath. Marcel Schmitt and Alwin Leysner recorded an 8-6 win at No. 3 versus Pedro Rodrigues and Andres Burgos for the Warriors (8-3).
In singles the Bulldogs won five of the six matches in straight sets, including Marcelo’s 6-3, 6-2, triumph at No. 1 over Daniel Spurny and Azhar’s 6-2, 6-3, win at No. 2 against Valentin Bayh. Sanna came back from a set down to defeat Heath, 4-6, 7-5, 6-0, at No. 3; Rodrigues rebounded with a 6-1, 6-4, victory over Schmitt at No. 4; Burgos likewise posted a singles victory with a 6-2, 6-4, decision versus Leysner; and Cristhian Hernandez won 8-3 against Jalkanen at No. 6.
Cumberland Univ. 8, #18 Webber International 1
1. Antonio Manuel Marcelo (CU) def. Daniel Spurny (WEB), 6-3, 6-2
2. Na’im Azhar (CU) def. Valentin Bayh (WEB), 6-2, 6-3
3. Evan Sanna (CU) def. Tyler Heath (WEB), 4-6, 7-5, 6-0
4. Pedro Rodrigues (CU) def. Marcel Schmitt (WEB), 6-1, 6-4
5. Andres Burgos (CU) def. Alwin Leysner (WEB), 6-2, 6-4
6. Cristhian Hernandez (CU) def. Joonas Jalkanen (WEB), 8-3
1. (7) Marcelo-Sanna (CU) def. Andres Riobueno-Jalkanen (WEB), 8-5
2. Devin Crotzer-Azhar (CU) def. Carl Ackered-Heath (WEB), 8-3
3. Schmitt-Leysner (WEB) def. Rodrigues-Burgos (CU), 8-6