LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland swept the doubles matches and Na’im Azhar and Pedro Rodrigues recorded singles win, as the 16th-ranked Bulldogs defeated Reinhardt University, 5-0, in men’s tennis action at the NAIA Qualifying Tournament at The Racquet Club of the South in Norcross, Ga.
The Bulldogs (16-1) advance to play SCAD-Atlanta at 7:30 a.m. Central Time on Saturday in the semifinals. The Bees defeated Martin Methodist, 5-2, in Friday in the quarterfinals.
Andres Burgos and Rodrigues defeated Garrick Sanford and Nahum Vigo-Fas, 8-2, at No. 3 doubles before Evan Sanna and Jeremy Fleming blanked Justin Wagner and Nick Draghiceanu at No. 1 and Devin Crotzer and Azhar won 8-2 at No. 2 against Andrew Cobb and Matt Porter.
In singles Azhar posted a 6-0, 6-1, victory over Wagner at No. 1 and Rodrigues finished off the victory with a 6-1, 6-0, triumph versus Cobb at No. 3.
Complete results from the tournament may be found at http://www.transouth.org/article/1352.php.
Cumberland Univ. 5, Reinhardt Univ. 0
1. Na’im Azhar (CU) def. Justin Wagner (RU), 6-0, 6-1
2. Evan Sanna (CU) vs. Nick Draghiceanu (RU), 6-2, 2-0, DNF
3. Pedro Rodrigues (CU) def. Andrew Cobb (RU), 6-1, 6-0
4. Andres Burgos (CU) vs. Matt Porter (RU), 6-2, DNF
5. Cristhian Hernandez (CU) vs. Garrick Sanford (RU), 6-0, 2-0, DNF
6. Jeremy Fleming (CU) vs. Nahum Vigo-Fas (RU), 4-2, DNF
1. Sanna-Fleming (CU) def. Wagner-Draghiceanu (RU), 8-0
2. Devin Crotzer-Azhar (CU) def. Cobb-Porter (RU), 8-2
3. Burgos-Rodrigues (CU) def. Sanford-Vigo-Fas (RU), 8-2
Order of Finish – Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,4*)