LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland posted a pair of doubles wins and Alejandro Rosas Garcia, Ramon Puertolas and Axel Lucich each picked up singles wins in a 5-4 team victory over Bellarmine in men’s tennis action Saturday in Louisville, Ky.
Cumberland (2-2) recorded doubles wins at Nos. 2 and 3, with Puertolas and Rosas Garcia collecting an 8-6 decision against Alex Swords and Matthew Momper at No. 2 and Riccardo Ferraris and Jose Ortega Vela registering an 8-3 win at No. 3 over Andrew Jones and Lauren de Boeck. Bellarmine’s Jose Legarreta and Zachary Kuo defeated Lucich and Thiago Lopes, 8-4, at No.1 doubles.
The Knights (4-9) got a default at No. 6 singles to even the match, but Rosas Garcia posted a 6-1, 6-0, victory at No. 3 singles against Swords, Puertolas won 6-1, 6-1, at No. 4 versus Momper and Lucich claimed a 6-2, 6-1, decision at No. 5 over de Boeck to finish off the team victory.
Bellarmine won a pair of close matches at the top two singles spot, with Legarreta outlasting Ferraris, 7-5, 6-4, at No. 1 and Kuo claiming a 7-6 (4), 6-3, victory at No. 2 against Lopes.
Cumberland begins Mid-South Conference play Wednesday at home at 2:30 p.m. against eighth-ranked Campbellsville University at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
Cumberland Univ. 5, Bellarmine Univ. 4
1. Jose Legarreta (BELL) def. Riccardo Ferraris (CU), 7-5, 6-4
2. Zachary Kuo (BELL) def. Thiago Lopes (CU), 7-6 (4), 6-3
3. Alejandro Rosas Garcia (CU) def. Alex Swords (BELL), 6-1, 6-0
4. Ramon Puertolas (CU) def. Matthew Momper (BELL), 6-1, 6-1
5. Axel Lucich (CU) def. Lauren de Boeck (BELL), 6-2, 6-1
6. L.J. Allara (BELL) won by default
1. Legarreta-Kuo (BELL) def. Lucich-Lopes (CU), 8-4
2. Puertolas-Rosas Garcia (CU) def. Swords-Momper (BELL), 8-6
3. Ferraris-Ortega Vela (CU) def. Andrew Jones-de Boeck (BELL), 8-3