MONTGOMERY, Ala. – Cumberland lost by contested doubles matches and four singles outings in straight sets, dropping an 8-0 decision to Auburn Montgomery in men’s tennis action here Wednesday.
The Phoenix (2-4) played with just five players in the match because of an injury to Jose Ortega Vela, who did not make the trip.
Auburn Montgomery (10-6) won both contested doubles matches, with Alvaro Terron and Francisco Mendieta defeating Ramon Puertolas and Riccardo Ferraris, 8-3, at No. 2 before Vincent Dubosclard and Birkir Gunnarsson won 8-4 at No. 1 against Axel Lucich and Thiago Lopes.
In singles Dubosclard defeated Ferraris, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 2 and Mendieta held off Puertolas, 6-2, 7-5, at No. 3. Matias Destefanis won 6-2, 6-3, versus Alejandro Rosas Garcia at No. 1 and Gunnarsson posted a 7-6 (4), 6-3, victory at No. 5 against Lucich.
Cumberland takes on the University of Pikeville at 10 a.m. on Sunday and hosts Lindsey Wilson at 2 p.m. on Tuesday at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts to finish the home schedule.
Auburn Montgomery 8, Cumberland University 0
1. Matias Destefanis (AUM) def. Alejandro Rosas Garcia (CU), 6-2, 6-3
2. Vincent Dubosclard (AUM) def. Riccardo Ferraris (CU), 6-1, 6-2
3. Francisco Mendieta (AUM) def. Ramon Puertolas (CU), 6-2, 7-5
4. Alvaro Terron (AUM) def. Thiago Lopes (CU), 7-5, 3-0, DNF
5. Birkir Gunnarsson (AUM) def. Axel Lucich (CU), 7-6 (4), 6-3
6. Santiago Veglia (AUM) won by default
1. Dubosclard-Gunnarsson (AUM) def. Lopes-Lucich (CU), 8-4
2. Terron-Mendieta (AUM) def. Puertolas-Ferraris (CU), 8-3
3. Veglia-Destefanis (AUM) won by default
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,2,3,1,5)