LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland registered three doubles victories and five singles wins in straight sets, posting an 8-1 victory against the University of Pikeville in men’s tennis action Sunday at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
Cumberland improved to 3-4 overall this season, 1-1 in Mid-South Conference action with the victory, while the Bears dropped to 7-5 overall, 1-3 in MSC play.
Thiago Lopes and Axel Lucich posted an 8-5 victory at No. 1 doubles against Pedro Azevedo and Eric Bernabeu, while Ramon Puertolas and Riccardo Ferraris won 8-1 at No. 2 versus Juan Reyes and Nicolas Rodenbusch. Jose Ortega Vela and Alejandro Rosas Garcia registered an 8-0 win at No. 3 over Kenton Hall and Jorge Mejia.
In singles Rosas Garcia defeated Azevedo, 6-0, 6-4, at No. 1 and Puertolas recorded a 6-0, 6-0, victory at No. 3 versus Bernabeu. Lucich won by the same score at No. 5 against Hall and Ortega Vela also blanked Mejia at No. 6. Lopes lost just two games, 6-1, 6-1, in a victory at No. 4 against Rodenbusch.
Pikeville’s only point of the match came at No. 2 singles, with Reyes coming from a set down to defeat Ferraris, 2-6, 6-3, 11-9.
Cumberland takes on fifth-ranked Lindsey Wilson in the team’s final home match of the season on Tuesday at 2 p.m. at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
Cumberland Univ. 8, Univ. of Pikeville 1
1. Alejandro Rosas Garcia (CU) def. Pedro Azevedo (PIKE), 6-0, 6-4
2. Juan Reyes (PIKE) def. Riccardo Ferraris (CU), 2-6, 6-3, 11-9
3. Ramon Puertolas (CU) def. Eric Bernabeu (PIKE), 6-0, 6-0
4. Thiago Lopes (CU) def. Nicolas Rodenbusch (PIKE), 6-1, 6-1
5. Axel Lucich (CU) def. Kenton Hall (PIKE), 6-0, 6-0
6. Jose Ortega Vela (CU) def. Jorge Mejia (PIKE), 6-0, 6-0
1. Lopes-Lucich (CU) def. Azevedo-Bernabeu (PIKE), 8-5
2. Puertolas-Ferraris (CU) def. Reyes-Rodenbusch (PIKE), 8-1
3. Ortega Vela-Rosas Garcia (CU) def. Hall-Mejia (PIKE), 8-0