LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland men’s tennis swept all six singles matches and won a pair of doubles outings, ending the regular season with an 8-1 victory over the University of the Cumberlands on Saturday in Williamsburg, Ky.
The Phoenix (6-5, 4-2 Mid-South) have won three straight and four of the last five outings heading into next week’s Mid-South Conference Championships in Bowling Green, Ky., which begins Friday.
Thiago Lopes and Axel Lucich started the match with an 8-4 victory at No. 2 doubles over Sebastian Schille and Dev Sivam and Riccardo Ferraris and Ramon Puertolas won by the same score at No. 1 against Aatu Merenheimo and Leonardo Couto. Tanishq Mahendru and Luis Westrick picked up the only point for the Patriots (5-14, 3-3) with an 8-5 victory at No. 3 versus Jose Ortega Vela and Alejandro Rosas Garcia.
In singles Lopes was the first off the court with a 6-1, 6-3, win at No. 3 over Mahendru before Ferraris posted a 7-6, 7-5, victory at No. 2 versus Cuoto. Rosas Garcia’s 6-4, 3-6, 6-3, triumph at No. 1 against Merenheimo secured the team win for Cumberland.
Puertolas defeated Westrick, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 4, while Lucich recorded a 6-4, 6-2, win at No. 5 over Schille and Ortega Vela finished off the match with a 6-1, 7-5, victory against Sivam at No. 6.
#24 Cumberland Univ. 8, Univ. of the Cumberlands 1
1. Alejandro Rosas Garcia (CU) def. Aatu Merenheimo (UC), 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
2. Riccardo Ferraris (CU) def. Leonardo Couto (UC), 7-6, 7-5
3. Thiago Lopes (CU) def. Tanishq Mahendru (UC), 6-1, 6-3
4. Ramon Puertolas (CU) def. Luis Westrick (UC), 6-2, 6-2
5. Axel Lucich (CU) def. Sebastian Schille (UC), 6-4, 6-2
6. Jose Ortega Vela (CU) def. Dev Sivam (UC), 6-1, 7-5
1. Ferraris-Puertolas (CU) def. Merenheimo-Couto (UC), 8-4
2. Lucich-Lopes (CUMB) def. Schille-Sivam (UC), 8-4
3. Mahendru-Westrick (UC) def. Ortega Vela-Rosas Garcia (CU), 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,2,1,4,5,6)