LOUISVILLE, Ky. – Cumberland swept the doubles matches and Riccardo Ferraris and Ramon Puertolas picked up singles wins, as the 24th-ranked Phoenix posted a 5-0 victory over the University of Pikeville in the quarterfinals of the Mid-South Conference Men’s Tennis Championships here Sunday.
Cumberland (7-5) advances to face ninth-ranked Campbellsville University in the semifinals on Monday at Noon in Bowling Green, Ky.
The Phoenix swept the doubles matches, with Ferraris and Puertolas blanking Oscar Pacheco and Jorge Mejia at No. 3 just seconds before Jose Ortega Vela and Alejandro Rosas Garcia also won 8-0 versus Juan Reyes and Kenton Hall. Both CU tandems posted four breaks in the doubles outings.
Thiago Lopes and Axel Lucich broke three times en route to an 8-2 victory at No. 1 over Eric Bernabeu and Pedro Azevedo.
In singles Ferraris made quick work of Hall, 6-0, 6-0, at No. 4, and Puertolas out-hustled Azevedo in a 6-1, 6-0, win at No. 3 to finish off the match against the Bears (7-9).
#24 Cumberland Univ. 5, Univ. of Pikeville 0
1. Alejandro Rosas Garcia (CU) vs. Eric Bernabeu (PIKE) 4-6, 1-2, DNF
2. Thiago Lopes (CU) vs. Juan Reyes (PIKE), 2-6, 0-3, DNF
3. Ramon Puertolas (CU) def. Pedro Azevedo (PIKE), 6-1, 6-0
4. Riccardo Ferraris (CU) def. Kenton Hall (PIKE), 6-0, 6-0
5. Axel Lucich (CU) vs. Oscar Pacheco (PIKE), DNP
6. Jose Ortega Vela (CU) vs. Jorge Mejia (PIKE), DNP
1. Lopes-Lucich (CU) def. Azevedo-Bernabeu (PIKE), 8-2
2. Ortega Vela-Rosas Garcia (CU) def. Reyes-Hall (PIKE), 8-0
3. Puertolas-Ferraris (CU) def. Pacheco-Mejia (PIKE), 8-0
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,3)