LEBANON, Tenn. – Juniors Axel Lucich and Thiago Lopes claimed three of 22nd-ranked Cumberland’s five points in Friday’s 5-4 men’s tennis victory over Union College in Harrogate, Tenn., with the duo combining for a doubles win and each player picking up singles triumphs in three sets, including the deciding point from Lopes.
Lopes and Lucich won their doubles outing in a tiebreaker, 8-4, at No. 3 over Santiago Diaz Lopez and Srdjan Trosic while freshmen Pau Grabuleda Cruañas and Francisco Fernandez Meaca posted an 8-6 doubles win at No. 1 for the Phoenix against Srdan Pejic and Borna Bartolovic.
Union’s Lois Castellon and Kuhnel put the Bulldogs ahead, 1-0, in the dual with an 8-5 win at No. 2 versus Ramon Puertolas and Riccardo Ferraris before Cumberland pulled ahead 2-1 at the end of doubles.
Pejic registered a 7-5, 6-4, victory at No. 2 singles against Ferraris and Castellon put Union ahead in the overall match with a 6-2, 6-3, win at No. 1 versus Puertolas, but Cumberland claimed the next three outings.
Fernandez Meaca collected a 6-1, 6-2, win at No. 5 over Diaz Lopez to square the match at three. Lucich then outlasted Mateo Gonzalez, 6-1, 3-6, 6-4, at No. 3 and Lopes finished off the team victory, coming from a set down for a 3-6, 6-4, 6-3, win at No. 4 against Bartolovic.
Alex Kostka defeated CU freshman Omar Santiagonúñez Ahumada, 6-2, 6-0, at No. 6 in the final match on the court.
Cumberland plays NCAA Division II schools King University and host Lincoln Memorial on Saturday.
#22 Cumberland University 5, Union College 4
1. Lois Castellon (Union) def. Ramon Puertolas (CU), 6-2, 6-3
2. Srdan Pejic (Union) def. Riccardo Ferraris (CU), 7-5, 6-4
3. Axel Lucich (CU) def. Mateo Gonzalez (Union), 6-1, 3-6, 6-4
4. Thiago Lopes (CU) def. Borna Bartolovic (Union), 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Francisco Fernandez Meaca (CU) def. Santiago Diaz Lopez (Union), 6-1, 6-2
6. Alex Kostka (Union) def. Omar Santiagonúñez Ahumada (CU), 6-2, 6-0
1. Grabuleda Cruañas-Fernandez Meaca (CU) def. Pejic-Bartolivic (Union), 8-6
2. Castellon-Kuhnel (Union) def. Puertolas-Ferraris (CU), 8-5
3. Lopes-Lucich (CU) def. Diaz Lopez-Srdjan Trosic (Union), 9-8 (4)
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,1,5,3,4,6)