LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland men’s tennis won a pair of matches on Saturday, with Thiago Lopes clinching a 5-4 victory over Lincoln Memorial and the Phoenix taking five singles outings in a 7-2 win versus King University in Harrogate, Tenn.
Cumberland (3-0) started with two doubles victories against Lincoln Memorial, with Pau Grabuleda Cruañas and Francisco Fernandez Meaca collecting an 8-6 decision over Constantin Ernstberger and Moritz Hoerner at No. 1 and Lopes and Axel Lucich posting a 9-7 win at No. 3 versus Xavier Marti and Iker Tomas Moure. LMU’s Joshua Peress and Jake Tuchmann registered an 8-6 victory against Ramon Puertolas and Riccardo Ferraris at No. 2.
Ernstberger evened the match at two with a 6-1, 6-4, victory over Fernandez Meaca at No. 3 and Peress put the Railsplitters ahead with a 7-6 (0), 6-0, win at No. 2 verrsus Grabuleda Cruañas. In much the same manner, Cumberland responded with three straight singles triumphs to take the match.
Puertolas outdueled Marti at No. 1, 6-4, 2-6, 17-15, in the supertiebreaker before Lucich claimed a 6-1, 6-4, at No. 4 victory over Hoerner. Lopes again clinched the deciding point, this time at No. 5 with a 7-5, 6-3, win versus Tomas Moure. LMU’s Tuchmann won the final match on the court, 6-2, 6-4, against Omar Santiagonúñez Ahumada.
The Phoenix had a little easier time against King, though the match started similarly with two doubles victories.
The Tornado got the first point of the dual at No. 1 doubles, with Alejandro Feliciano and Lennard Neumann posting an 8-4 win over Grabuleda Cruañas and Fernandez Meaca, but Lucich and Lopes tallied an 8-1 victory at No. 3 against Sebastian Lieflaender and Charles Jabaley and Puertolas and Ferraris put CU ahead for good in the match with an 8-6 win at No. 2 versus Lenny Keswani and Alberto Alfaro.
Fernandez Meaca was the first player off the court in singles, claiming a 6-0, 6-1, win over Noah Baker at No. 4 before Lucich did not lose a game in a victory against Lieflaender at No. 5 and Ferraris posted the clinching point with a 6-4, 6-1, triumph at No. 3 versus Alfaro.
King’s Keswani collected a 6-4, 7-5, decision against Grabuleda Cruañas at No. 1, but Puertolas defeated Neumann, 6-1, 3-6, 10-5, at No. 2 and Santiagonúñez Ahumada won at No. 6 over Jabaley, 4-6, 6-3, 10-4.
Both tennis teams are back in action February 22 with a 3 p.m. match at Tennessee State.
#22 Cumberland University 5, Lincoln Memorial 4
1. Ramon Puertolas (CU) def. Xavier Marti (LMU), 6-4, 2-6, 17-15
2. Joshua Peress (LMU) def. Pau Grabuleda Cruañas (CU), 7-6 (0), 6-0
3. Constantin Ernstberger (LMU) def. Francisco Fernandez Meaca (CU), 6-1, 6-4
4. Axel Lucich (CU) def. Moritz Hoerner (LMU), 6-1, 6-4
5. Thiago Lopes (CU) def. Iker Tomas Moure (LMU), 7-5, 6-3
6. Jake Tuchmann (LMU) def. Omar Santiagonúñez Ahumada (CU), 6-2, 6-4
1. Grabuleda Cruañas-Fernandez Meaca (CU) def. Ernstberger-Hoerner (LMU), 8-6
2. Peress-Tuchmann (LMU) def. Puertolas-Ferraris (CU), 8-6
3. Lopes-Lucich (CU) def. Marti-Tomas Moure (LMU), 9-7
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,2,1,4,5,6)
#22 Cumberland University 7, King University 2
1. Lenny Keswani (KING) def. Pau Grabuleda Cruañas (CU), 6-4, 7-5
2. Ramon Puertolas (CU) def. Lennard Neumann (KING), 6-1, 3-6, 10-5
3. Riccardo Ferraris (CU) def. Arturo Alfaro (KING), 6-4, 6-1
4. Francisco Fernandez Meaca (CU) def. Noah Baker (KING), 6-0, 6-1
5. Axel Lucich (CU) Sebastian Lieflaender (KING), 6-0, 6-0
6. Omar Santiagonúñez Ahumada (CU) def. Charles Jabaley (KING), 4-6, 6-3, 10-4
1. Alejandro Feliciano-Neumann (KING) def. Grabuleda Cruañas-Fernandez Meaca (CU), 8-4
2. Puertolas-Ferraris (CU) def. Keswani-Alfaro (KING), 8-6
3. Lopes-Lucich (CU) def. Lieflaender-Jabaley (KING), 8-1
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (4,5,3,1,2,6)