LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland won a pair of doubles matches and all six singles outings, five of those in straight sets, in an 8-1 victory for the 19th-ranked Phoenix over Olivet Nazarene in men’s tennis action Friday at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
Cumberland (9-1) is back at home this Wednesday (aa match originally scheduled for Sunday) at 1 p.m. versus Martin Methodist.
Phoenix juniors Axel Lucich and Thiago Lopes defeated Olivet Nazarene’s James Carr and Joel Rodriguez, 8-0, at No. 2 doubles, but ONU’s Alfonso Martinez and Tyler Cannon posted an 8-2 victory at No. 1 doubles over Riccardo Ferraris and Francisco Fernandez Meaca. CU’s Ramon Puertolas and Omar Santiagonúñez Ahumada registered an 8-3 win versus Lucas Bolt and Nate Benoit.
Cumberland’s Pau Grabuleda Cruañas started the singles with a 6-2, 6-3, victory at No. 1 against Bolt and Ferraris recorded a 6-2, 6-1, win at No. 3 versus Benoit. Puertolas posted the clinching point at No. 2 with a 4-6, 6-1, 6-0, triumph over Martinez.
Lopes did not lose a game in his victory at No. 5 versus Carr, while Fernandez Meaca defeated Cannon, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 4 and Santiagonúñez Ahumada registered a 6-0, 6-0, win at No. 6 against Rodriguez.
#19 Cumberland University 8, Olivet Nazarene 1
1. Pau Grabuleda Cruañas (CU) def. Lucas Bolt (ONU), 6-2, 6-3
2. Ramon Puertolas (CU) def. Alfonso Martinez (ONU), 4-6, 6-1, 6-0
3. Riccardo Ferraris (CU) def. Nate Benoit (ONU), 6-2, 6-1
4. Francisco Fernandez Meaca (CU) def. Tyler Cannon (ONU), 6-1, 6-1
5. Thiago Lopes (CU) def. James Carr (ONU), 6-0, 6-0
6. Omar Santiagonúñez Ahumada (CU) def. Joel Rodriguez (ONU), 6-0, 6-0
1. Martinez-Cannon (ONU) def. Ferraris-Fernandez Meaca (CU), 8-2
2. Lucich-Lopes (CU) def. Carr-Rodriguez (ONU), 8-0
3. Puertolas-Santiagonúñez Ahumada (CU) def. Benoit-Bolt (ONU), 8-4
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,3,2,5,4,6)