LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland men’s tennis swept the doubles and never looked back in two wins Friday, with the seventh-ranked Phoenix posting a 6-3 victory over the University of the Cumberlands and a 9-0 win versus Blue Mountain College at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
Cumberland (18-2, 5-1 Mid-South) recorded all three doubles points against the Cumberlands in Friday’s first match, with 17th-ranked Pau Grabuleda Cruañas and Francisco Fernandez Meaca collecting an 8-3 win over Aatu Merenheimo and Luis Montull at No. 1.
Ramon Puertolas and Riccardo Ferraris won by the same score at No. 3 versus Rodrigo Ratte and Eric Banoub before Thiago Lopes and Axel Lucich posted an 8-4 victory at No. 2 against Patrick Oliveira and Martin Barbier.
The Phoenix won the first three completed singles matches to finish off the team victory, retiring in the remaining singles outings because of a second match on Friday.
Puertolas, ranked 24th nationally in singles, defeated Merenheimo, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 2 and seventh-ranked Grabuleda Cruañas won 6-1, 6-4, over Barbier at No. 1 for the deciding point. Ferraris recorded a 6-3, 6-4, triumph at No. 3 against Yusuke Matsuoka.
The Patriots’ Montull defeated Fernandez Meaca, 4-1, retired, at No. 4, while Ratte led Lopes, 7-3, at No. 5 and Banoub was ahead of Lucich, 4-3, at No. 6.
Ferraris and Puertolas got things started against Blue Mountain, blanking Zaen Harbin and Max Mattaliano at No. 2. Grabuleda Cruañas and Omar Santiagonúñez Ahumada collected an 8-2 win at No. 2 versus Casey Cagle and Dylan Austin and Lopes and Lucich posted an 8-4 victory at No. 1 over John Jimenez and Zak Harbin.
Ferraris did not lose a game in defeating Cagle at No. 3 singles and Puertolas did the same against Zak Harbin at No. 2. Grabuleda Cruañas registered a 6-3, 6-2, win at No. 1 against Jimenez.
The final three matches were all pro set won 8-0 by the Phoenix, with Lopes over Zaen Harbin at No. 4, Lucich against Eli Puckett at No. 5 and Santiagonúñez Ahumada versus Austin at No. 6.
Cumberland plays again next Friday in the quarterfinals of the Mid-South Conference Championships in Bowling Green, Ky.
#7 Cumberland University 9, Blue Mountain College 0
1. #7 Pau Grabuleda Cruañas (CU) def. John Jimenez (BMC), 6-3, 6-2
2. #24 Ramon Puertolas (CU) def. Zak Harbin (BMC), 6-0, 6-0
3. Riccardo Ferraris (CU) def. Casey Cagle (BMC), 6-0, 6-0
4. Thiago Lopes (CU) def. Zaen Harbin (BMC), 8-0
5. Axel Lucich (CU) def. Eli Puckett (BMC), 8-0
6. Omar Santiagonúñez Ahumada (CU) def. Dylan Austin (BMC), 8-0
1. Lopes-Lucich (CU) def. Jimenez-Zak Harbin (BMC), 8-4
2. Ferraris-Puertolas (CU) def. Zaen Harbin-Max Mattaliano (BMC), 8-0
3. Grabuleda Cruañas-Santiagonúñez Ahumada (CU) def. Cagle-Austin (BMC), 8-2
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,2,1,6,4,5)
#7 Cumberland University 6, University of the Cumberlands 3
1. #7 Pau Grabuleda Cruañas (CU) def. Martin Barbier (UC), 6-1, 6-4
2. #24 Ramon Puertolas (CU) def. Aatu Merenheimo (UC), 6-1, 6-2
3. Riccardo Ferraris (CU) def. Yusuke Matsuoka (UC), 6-3, 6-4
4. Luis Montull (UC) def. Francisco Fernandez Meaca (CU), 4-1, retired
5. Rodrigo Ratte (UC) def. Thiago Lopes (CU), 7-3, retired
6. Eric Banoub (UC) def. Axel Lucich (CU), 4-3, retired
1. #17 Grabuleda Cruañas-Fernandez Meaca (CU) def. Merenhaimo-Montull (UC), 8-3
2. Lopes-Lucich (CU) def. Patrick Oliveira-Barbier (UC), 8-4
3. Ferraris-Puertolas (CU) def. Ratte-Banoub (UC), 8-3
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,1,4,3,6,5)