LEBANON, Tenn. – Seventh-ranked Cumberland men’s tennis posted a 5-3 victory against 25th-ranked Indiana Wesleyan but lost to No. 14 University of Mobile in a pair of matches over the weekend in Macon, Ga.
The Phoenix did not play Sunday against Coastal Georgia because of persistant rain in the area. Cumberland takes on Loyola University on Monday and eighth-ranked Middle Georgia State on Tuesday to conclude the Spring Break trip.
Indiana Wesleyan won 2-of-3 doubles matches to take an early lead, with Eli Steiner and Grant Esposito defeating Thiago Lopes and Axel Lucich at No. 1 and Diego Freire and Riley Worland outlasting Pau Grabuleda Cruañas and Francisco Fernandez Meaca in a tiebreaker. CU’s Ramon Puertolas and Guillermo Pardos posted an 8-4 win at No. 3 versus Andrew Block and Grant Yager.
Esposito collected a 6-3, 6-2, singles victory at No. 3 over Lucich to extend the Wildcats overall lead in the match to 3-1, but Fernandez Meaca finished strong for a 6-2, 3-6, 6-0, victory at No. 4 against Worland and Grabuleda Cruañas lost the first set but recorded a 4-6, 6-1, 6-2, triumph at No. 1 versus Steiner to even the match at three points apiece.
Cumberland picked up the team victory with wins at the bottom two spots in the lineup. Alejo Bagnera registered a 6-3, 6-2, win at No. 5 over Block and Pardos tallied a 6-4, 6-2, victory at No. 6 against Yager. Freire defeated Puertolas, 7-5, 6-7, 6-2, for the final point of the match.
Mobile also picked up two doubles victories against the Phoenix to begin Friday’s match, which was delayed by rain until late Friday evening.
Boris Klingebiel and Mark Simons posted an 8-0 win at No. 1 against Lopes and Lucich while Luca Cirenza and Felipe Resende netted an 8-6 victory at No. 3 versus Pardos and Bagnera. Grabuleda Cruañas and Fernandez Meaca defeated Illya Filanchuk and Guido Evangelista, 8-2, at No. 2 for a CU point.
Klingebiel registered a 6-1, 6-0, win at No. 1 over Grabuleda Cruañas, but Lucich came from a set down to win 2-6, 7-6, 6-2, at No. 3 versus Evangelista and Fernandez Meaca picked up a 6-4, 6-4, victory at No. 4 against Filanchuk to even the match.
Simons overcame match points at No. 2 to record a 6-7, 6-4, 7-5, win versus Puertolas at No. 2 and Cirenza defeated Lopes, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 5. Bagnera was ahead in his match, 6-3, 2-2, against Resende when the match was called.
#14 University of Mobile 5, #7 Cumberland University 3
1. Boris Klingebiel (MOB) def. Pau Grabuleda Cruañas (CU), 6-1, 6-0
2. Mark Simons (MOB) def. Ramon Puertolas (CU), 6-7, 6-4, 7-5
3. Axel Lucich (CU) def. Guido Evangelista (MOB), 2-6, 7-6, 6-2
4. Francisco Fernandez Meaca (CU) def. Illya Filanchuk (MOB), 6-4, 6-4
5. Luca Cirenza (MOB) def. Thiago Lopes (CU), 6-1, 6-1
6. Alejo Bagnera (CU) vs Felipe Resende (MOB), 6-3, 2-2, DNF
1. Klingebiel-Simons (MOB) def. Lopes-Lucich (CU), 8-0
2. Grabuleda Cruañas-Fernandez Meaca (CU) def. Filanchuk-Evangelista (MOB), 8-2
3. Cirenza-Resende (MOB) def. Guillermo Pardos-Bagnera (CU), 8-6
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,3,4,2,5)
#7 Cumberland University 5, #25 Indiana Wesleyan 4
1. Pau Grabuleda Cruañas (CU) def. Eli Steiner (IWU), 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
2. Diego Freire (IWU) def. Ramon Puertolas (CU), 7-5, 6-7, 6-2
3. Grant Esposito (IWU) def. Axel Lucich (CU), 6-3, 6-2
4. Francisco Fernandez Meaca (CU) def. Riley Worland (IWU), 6-2, 3-6, 6-0
5. Alejo Bagnera (CU) def. Andrew Block (IWU), 6-3, 6-2
6. Guillermo Pardos (CU) def. Grant Yager (IWU), 6-4, 6-2
1. Steiner-Esposito (IWU) def. Lopes-Lucich (CU), 8-6
2. Freire-Worland (IWU) def. Grabuleda Cruañas-Fernandez Meaca (CU), 9-8
3. Pardos-Puertolas (CU) def. Yager-Block (IWU), 8-4
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,4,1,5,6,2)