LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland posted a pair of doubles wins and Pau Grabuleda Cruañas, Francisco Fernandez Meaca, Thiago Lopes and Alejo Bagnera all collected singles victories in a 6-3 team win versus Martin Methodist in men’s tennis action Tuesday at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
The Phoenix play three more times at home this week beginning Wednesday versus Indiana Tech. CU also faces Bethel University on Friday and William Woods University on Saturday.
Lopes and Axel Lucich defeated Jesus Quesada and Federico Gomez, 8-3, at No. 1 doubles and Grabuleda Cruañas and Fernandez Meaca collected an 8-1 win at No. 2 against Jack Hayes and Brad Prada. The RedHawks got a victory at No. 3, with Eduardo Costa and Anh Hoang recording an 8-5 win over Guillermo Pardos and Ramon Puertolas.
Quesada evened the match at No. 3 singles when Lucich retired down 4-0 in the first set, but Grabuleda Cruañas posted a 6-2, 6-1, win at No. 1 over Prada and Fernandez Meaca tallied a 6-0, 6-0, victory at No. 4 versus Jurgen Hildmann. Bagnera clinched the match for the Phoenix with a 6-1, 6-1, triumph at No. 6 against Hoang.
Lopes defeated Costa, 6-1, 6-3, at No. 5 and Gomez outlasted Puertolas at No. 2, 6-3, 5-7, 10-8, for the RedHawks other point in the match.
#7 Cumberland University 6, Martin Methodist 3
1. Pau Grabuleda Cruañas (CU) def. Brad Prada (MMC), 6-2, 6-1
2. Federico Gomez (MMC) def. Ramon Puertolas (CU), 6-3, 5-7, 10-8
3. Jesus Quesada (MMC) def. Axel Lucich (CU), 4-0 retired
4. Francisco Fernandez Meaca (CU) def. Jurgen Hildmann (MMC), 6-0, 6-0
5. Thiago Lopes (CU) def. Eduardo Costa (MMC), 6-1, 6-3
6. Alejo Bagnera (CU) def. Anh Hoang (MMC), 6-1, 6-1
1. Lopes-Lucich (CU) def. Quesada-Gomez (MMC), 8-3
2. Grabuleda Cruañas-Fernandez Meaca (CU) def. Jack Hayes-Prada (MMC), 8-1
3. Costa-Hoang (MMC) def. Guillermo Pardos-Puertolas (CU), 8-5
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,1,4,6,5,2)