LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland registered a pair of doubles victories and won five singles outings, three of those in three sets, in a 7-2 team victory for the Phoenix against Indiana Tech in men’s tennis action Wednesday at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
The Phoenix (4-3) won their second straight home match and host two more outings this week, taking on Bethel University on Friday at 1 p.m. and William Woods University on Saturday at 10 a.m.
Pau Grabuleda Cruañas and Francisco Fernandez Meaca defeated Alvaro Gomez and Andres Leal, 8-1, at No. 3 doubles and Thiago Lopes and Axel Lucich picked up an 8-3 win at No. 1 versus Tiago Neves and Brunno Storani. Indiana Tech’s Rui Lima and Alvaro Garrido posted an 8-5 victory at No. 2 against Ramon Puertolas and Alejo Bagnera.
Fernandez Meaca was the first off the court in singles with a 6-3, 6-3, win at No. 4 over Garrido, just ahead of Lucich, a 6-2, 6-1, winner versus Leal at No. 3. Neves picked up the Warriors other point in the match with a 6-3, 7-5, victory at No. 1 against Grabuleda Cruañas.
Puertolas recorded the deciding point for the Phoenix with a 6-2, 2-6, 6-3, win at No. 2 against Storani. Cumberland won the final two matches on the court, also in three sets, with Lopes defeating Lima, 6-3, 2-6, 7-5, at No. 5 and Bagnera recording a 5-7, 6-0, 6-2, win at No. 6 versus Pablo Bono.
#14 Cumberland University 7, Indiana Tech 2
1. Tiago Neves (INTECH) def. Pau Grabuleda Cruañas (CU), 6-3, 7-5
2. Ramon Puertolas (CU) def. Brunno Storani (INTECH), 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
3. Axel Lucich (CU) def. Andres Leal (INTECH), 6-2, 6-1
4. Francisco Fernandez Meaca (CU) def. Alvaro Garrido (INTECH), 6-3, 6-3
5. Thiago Lopes (CU) def. Rui Lima (INTECH), 6-3, 2-6, 7-5
6. Aleja Bagnera (CU) def. Pablo Bono (INTECH), 5-7, 6-0, 6-2
1. Lopes-Lucich (CU) def. Neves-Storani (INTECH), 8-3
2. Lima-Garrido (INTECH) def. Puertolas-Bagnera (CU), 8-5
3. Grabuleda Cruañas-Fernandez Meaca (CU) def. Alvaro Gomez-Leal (INTECH), 8-1
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (4,3,1,2,5,6)