LEBANON, Tenn. – Ainhoa Garjio Garrido posted a singles victory, but Bellarmine University won all three doubles matches and the remaining singles outings in an 8-1 victory over Cumberland in women’s tennis action Saturday in Louisville, Ky.
The Knights (12-2) won all three doubles matches, with Maggie Walroth and Ashley Jonathan posting an 8-2 victory over Franki Jecker and Garjio Garrido at No. 1. Sydney Thompson and Jennifer Skonieczny defeated Sarah Edwards and Marta Ferrando Pea, 8-3, at No. 2, while Bess Fley and Mary Elaine Kuo collected an 8-3 victory at No. 3 over Jasmine Shankar and Beleń Salazar Yańez.
In singles 28th-ranked Garjio Garrido defeated Walroth, 6-1, 6-4, at No. 1, but Bellarmine won a pair of first-set tiebreakers en route to wins in the five remaining matches.
Skonieczny recorded a 7-6 (6), 6-0, victory at No. 2 over Ferrando Pea and Marissa Kovach defeated Jecker, 7-6 (2), 6-1, at No. 4. Jonathan registered a 6-2, 6-1, win at No. 3 versus Shankar, while Thompson won 6-2, 6-3, against Salazar Yańez at No. 5 and Mairin Cotter posted a 6-2, 6-3, win over Edwards at No. 6.
Cumberland (1-4) opens Mid-South Conference play Wednesday at home at 2:30 p.m. against Campbellsville University at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
Bellarmine Univ. 8, Cumberland Univ. 1
1. #28 Ainhoa Garjio Garrido (CU) def. Maggie Walroth (BELL), 6-1, 6-4
2. Jennifer Skonieczny (BELL) def. Marta Ferrando Pea (CU), 7-6 (6), 6-0
3. Ashley Jonathan (BELL) def. Jasmine Shankar (CU), 6-2, 6-1
4. Marissa Kovach (BELL) def. Franki Jecker (CU), 7-6 (2), 6-1
5. Sydney Thompson (BELL) def. Beleń Salazar Yańez (CU), 6-2, 6-3
6. Mairin Cotter (BELL) def. Sarah Edwards (CU), 6-2, 6-3
1. Walroth-Jonathan (BELL) def. Jecker-Garjio Garrido (CU), 8-2
2. Thompson-Skonieczny (BELL) def. Edwards-Ferrando Pea (CU), 8-3
3. Bess Fley-Mary Elaine Kuo (BELL) def. Shankar-Salazar Yańez, 8-3