LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland swept the doubles matches and won five singles outings, three in straight sets, in an 8-1 victory over the University of Pikeville in women’s tennis action Sunday at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
The Phoenix (2-6, 1-1 Mid-South) ended a three-match losing streak against the Bears (0-8, 0-4), who played the match with just four players, forfeiting three outings.
Franki Jecker and Ainhoa Garjio Garrido defeated Macarena Acuna and Cailee Marcum, 8-3, at No. 1 doubles and Sarah Edwards and Marta Ferrando Pea posted an 8-0 win at No. 2 versus Bryanna Schroers and Emma Wonn.
In singles Ferrando Pea collected a 6-0, 6-0, victory at No. 2 against Marcum, while Jecker blanked Schroers at No. 3 and Trinidad Aguirre picked up a win by the same score at No. 4 over Wonn. Acuna registered the only point for the Bears with a 0-6, 6-3, 10-5, victory at No. 1 against 28th-ranked Garjio Garrido.
Cumberland hosts second-ranked Lindsey Wilson in the team’s final home match of the season on Tuesday at 2 p.m. at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
Cumberland Univ. 8, Univ. of Pikeville 1
1. Macarena Acuna (PIKE) def. #28 Ainhoa Garjio Garrido (CU), 0-6, 6-3, 10-5
2. Marta Ferrando Pea (CU) def. Cailee Marcum (PIKE), 6-0, 6-0
3. Franki Jecker (CU) def. Bryanna Schroers (PIKE), 6-0, 6-0
4. Trinidad Aguirre (CU) def. Emma Wonn (PIKE), 6-0, 6-0
5. Jasmine Shankar (CU) won by default
6. Sarah Edwards (CU) won by default
1. Jecker-Garjio Garrido (CU) def. Acuna-Marcum (PIKE), 8-3
2. Edwards-Ferrando Pea (CU) def. Schroers-Wonn (PIKE), 8-0
3. Shankar-Beleń Salazar Yańez (CU) won by default