LEBANON, Tenn. – Ainhoa Garijo Garrido, Marianela Landi, Jasmine Shankar and Ana María Collazos each posted singles and doubles victories, leading 20th-ranked Cumberland to a 6-3 win against Georgetown College in women’s tennis action Wednesday at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
The Phoenix improved to 11-8 this season, 3-2 in Mid-South Conference action with Friday’s match against the University of the Cumberlands at home remaining in league play. CU also hosts Blue Mountain College on Friday in the team’s final regular season match.
Garijo Garrido and Landi posted an 8-6 victory at No. 1 doubles over Amanda Moore and Lauren Fazenbaker and Collazos and Shankar won by the same score at No. 2 versus Shae Henry and Natalie Fiepke. Georgetown’s Katie Swanson and Madelyn Kauffman collected an 8-4 triumph at No. 3 over Stefanie Navaratnam and Joana Bou at No. 3.
Tenth-ranked Garijo Garrido was the first one off in singles, registering a 6-1, 6-0, decision at No. 1 against Fazenbaker, and Landi wasn’t far behind, claiming a 6-1, 6-2, victory at No. 2 versus Henry.
Moore collected a 6-3, 6-2, win at No. 3 over Belén Salazar Yañez and Kauffman’s 6-2, 7-5, victory at No. 4 against Bou pulled the Tigers within 4-3.
Shankar clinched the team victory for the Phoenix with a 6-0, 6-0, triumph at No. 6 versus Fiepke and Collazos recorded the final point, outlasting 6-0, 4-6, 10-8, win over Novak at No. 5.
#20 Cumberland University 6, Georgetown College 3
1. #10 Ainhoa Garijo Garrido (CU) def. Lauren Fazenbaker (GEOR), 6-1, 6-0
2. Marianela Landi (CU) def. Shae Henry (GEOR), 6-1, 6-2
3. Amanda Moore (GEOR) def. Belén Salazar Yañez (CU), 6-3, 6-2
4. Madelyn Kauffman (GEOR) def. Joana Bou (CU), 6-2, 7-5
5. Ana María Collazos (CU) def. Emily Novak (GEOR), 6-0, 4-6, 10-8
6. Jasmine Shankar (CU) def. Natalie Fiepke (GEOR), 6-0, 6-0
1. Garijo Garrido-Landi (CU) def. Moore-Fazenbaker (GEOR), 8-6
2. Collazos-Shankar (CU) def. Henry-Fiepke (GEOR), 8-6
3. Katie Swanson-Kauffman (GEOR) def. Stefanie Navaratnam-Bou (CU), 8-4
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,2,3,4,6,5)