LEBANON, Tenn. – Austin Peay won a pair of doubles matches and all six singles outings in straight sets for a 7-0 victory over Cumberland in women’s tennis action Tuesday in Clarksville, Tenn.
The Governors collected two doubles wins by scores of 6-1, with Lidia Yanes Garcia and Claudia Yanes Garcia defeating Ainhoa Garijo Garrido and Jessica Hernandez at No. 1 and Danielle Morris and Helena Kuppig collecting a victory at No. 3 over Kylie Humphrey and Stefanie Navaratnam. APSU’s Honoka Nakanishi and Tatiana Lopez led 5-3 versus Marianela Landi and Ksenija Dmitrovic at No. 2.
In singles Lopez recorded a 6-1, 6-1, victory at No. 3 against Landi and Lidia Yanes Garcia defeated Garijo Garrido, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 1. Kuppig posted a 6-3, 6-1, win at No. 4 over Dmitrovic while Claudia Yanes Garcia won 6-3, 6-2, versus Hernandez at No. 2.
Morris registered a 6-1, 6-1, victory at No. 5 against Humphrey and Nakanishi finished the match with a 6-1, 6-0, win at No. 6 over Navaratnam.
Cumberland plays its final exhibition match February 23 at Belmont and opens the regular season Feb. 26 at home against Tennessee Wesleyan.
Austin Peay 7, Cumberland University 0
1. Lidia Yanes Garcia (APSU) def. Ainhoa Garijo Garrido (CU), 6-2, 6-1
2. Claudia Yanes Garcia (APSU) def. Jessica Hernandez (CU), 6-3, 6-2
3. Tatiana Lopez (APSU) def. Marianela Landi (CU), 6-1, 6-1
4. Helena Kuppig (APSU) def. Ksenija Dmitrovic (CU), 6-3, 6-1
5. Danielle Morris (APSU) def. Kylie Humphrey (CU), 6-1, 6-1
6. Honoka Nakanishi (APSU) def. Stefanie Navaratnam (CU), 6-1, 6-0
1. L. Yanes Garcia-C. Yanes Garcia (APSU) def. Garijo Garrido-Hernandez (CU), 6-1
2. Nakanishi-Lopez (APSU) vs. Landi-Dmitrovic (CU), 5-3, DNF
3. Morris-Kuppig (APSU) def. Humphrey-Navaratnam (CU), 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (3,1,4,2,5,6)