LEBANON, Tenn. – Jessica Hernandez, Marianela Landi, Kylie Humphrey and Ana María Collazos each posted singles victories and 19th-ranked Cumberland collected a 6-3 win over Tennessee Wesleyan in women’s tennis action Tuesday at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
The Phoenix got off to a good start in their regular season opener against the Bulldogs, taking 2-of-3 doubles outings.
TWU’s Yvette Callaghan and Haruka Hirata recorded an 8-4 victory at No. 2 doubles against Ksenija Dmitrovic and Landi, but Humphrey and Stefanie Navaratnam won 8-3 versus Arianna Pelletti and Mandie Watters at No. 3. Hernandez and Collazos then registered an 8-4 victory at No. 1 versus Elisa Piquero and Helena Cabezas Marti.
In singles Hernandez was first off at No. 1, winning the first set, 6-2, and leading 3-0 when Piquero retired. Landi claimed a 6-2, 6-0, victory at No. 2 against Cabezas Marti, but the Bulldogs pulled closer with two singles triumphs.
Callaghan defeated Dmitrovic, 6-1, 6-3, at No. 4 and Pelletti collected a 6-4, 6-3, win at No. 5 over Navaratnam, cutting the CU lead to 4-3.
The Phoenix won the final two matches on the court, though, with Humphrey outlasting Hirata at No. 3, 7-6, 5-7, 6-4, and Collazos finished off the victory with a 6-1, 7-6, win at No. 6 over Watters.
Cumberland travels to Macon, Ga., this weekend to play five matches in five days over Spring Break beginning Friday versus 23rd-ranked University of Mobile.
#19 Cumberland University 6, Tennessee Wesleyan 3
1. Jessica Hernandez (CU) def. Elisa Piquero (TWU), 6-2, 3-0, retired
2. Marianela Landi (CU) def. Helena Cabezas Marti (TWU), 6-2, 6-0
3. Kylie Humphrey (CU) def. Haruka Hirata (TWU), 7-6, 5-7, 6-4
4. Yvette Callaghan (TWU) def. Ksenija Dmitrovic (CU), 6-1, 6-3
5. Arianna Pelletti (TWU) def. Stefanie Navaratnam (CU), 6-4, 6-3
6. Ana María Collazos (CU) def. Mandie Watters (TWU), 6-1, 7-6
1. Hernandez-Collazos (CU) def. Piquero-Cabezas Marti (TWU), 8-4
2. Callaghan-Hirata (TWU) def. Dmitrovic-Landi (CU), 8-4
3. Humphrey-Navaratnam (CU) def. Pelletti-Watters (TWU), 8-3
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (1,2,4,5,3,6)