LEBANON, Tenn. – Marianela Landi and Kylie Humphrey each posted three-set singles wins and claimed the final two points for 18th-ranked Cumberland in a 5-4 victory over No. 19 Loyola University in women’s tennis action Monday in Macon, Ga.
The Phoenix (3-1) end their Spring Break trip against 12th-ranked Middle Georgia State on Tuesday at 10 a.m. CU has won 2-of-3 outings with one match rained out on the trip.
Cumberland lost 2-of-3 doubles outings and the singles went back-and-forth, with CU evening the score only to have the Wolfpack pull ahead with the next completed match.
Loyola’s Nadja Oschner and Chandler Harmon posted an 8-4 win at No. 3 doubles against Humphrey and Stefanie Navaratnam and Catherine Jordan and Manuela Alban registered an 8-3 victory at No. 2 versus CU’s Landi and Kseniha Dmitrovic. Jessica Hernandez and Ainhoa Garijo Garrido picked up CU’s only doubles point with an 8-6 triumph at No. 1 against Koral Martinez and Arianna Pepper.
Garijo Garrido evened the overall match at two with a 6-1, 6-1, win at No. 1 singles versus Harmon, but Loyola’s Alban defeated Dmitrovic, 6-0, 6-2, at No. 3 to put the Wolkpack in front. The Phoenix answered with a 7-5, 6-1, triumph at No. 2 by Hernandez over Martinez, but again Loyola pulled ahead, with Gabrielle Terranova winning 6-4, 6-2, versus Navaratnam at No. 6.
That left Landi and Humphrey on the court for Cumberland, with Landi down a set and Humphrey splitting sets. Landi came back to defeat Pepper, 3-6, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 4 and Humphrey finished off the come-from-behind victory with a 6-2, 5-7, 6-0, decision at No. 5 over Oschner.
#18 Cumberland University 5, #19 Loyola University [LA] 4
1. Ainhoa Garijo Garrido (CU) def. Chandler Harmon (LOY), 6-1, 6-1
2. Jessica Hernandez (CU) def. Koral Martinez (LOY), 7-5, 6-1
3. Manuela Alban (LOY) def. Ksenija Dmitrovic (CU), 6-0, 6-2
4. Marianela Landi (CU) def. Arianna Pepper (LOY), 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
5. Kylie Humphrey (CU) def. Nadja Oschner (LOY), 6-2, 5-7, 6-0
6. Gabrielle Terranova (LOY) def. Stafanie Navaratnam (CU), 6-4, 6-2
1. Garijo Garrido-Hernandez (CU) def. Martinez-Pepper (LOY), 8-6
2. Catherine Jordan-Alban (LOY) def. Landi-Dmitrovic (CU), 8-3
3. Oschner-Harman (LOY) def. Humphrey-Navaratnam (CU), 8-4
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,3,2,6,4,5)