LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland recorded a pair of doubles victories and Marianela Landi and Kylie Humphrey won in singles before Jessica Hernandez picked up the deciding point in a 5-3 victory for the 18th-ranked Phoenix over No. 12 Middle Georgia State in women’s tennis action Tuesday in Macon, Ga.
Cumberland (4-1) won 3-of-4 matches on the Spring Break trip with another canceled due to rain, including victories against No. 10 Indiana Wesleyan, 19th-ranked Loyola University and No. 12 Middle Georgia State.
The Phoenix started strong with a pair of doubles triumphs, but the Knights’ Luciana Peyrera and Lara Persiani won 8-1 at No. 2 versus Landi and Ksenija Dmitrovic. CU’s Ainhoa Garijo Garrido and Hernandez evened the doubles with an 8-5 victory at No. 1 over Maike Nagele and Franziska Nobis and Cumberland took a 2-1 lead after the doubles with Stefanie Navaratnam and Humphrey’s 8-5 win at No. 3 versus Jacqueline Heer and Andjela Rajovic.
Middle Georgia State (4-3) pulled away with two quick wins in singles thanks to a 6-0, 6-2, decision at No. 3 by Nobis against Dmitrovic and Nagele’s 6-2, 6-2, victory at No. 1 versus Garijo Garrido.
Cumberland posted victories in the final three completed matches, starting with Landi’s 6-1, 6-3, win at No. 4 over Peyrera. Humphrey followed with a 7-5, 6-2, decision at No. 5 against Persiani and Hernandez came from a set down to finish the match with a 4-6, 6-2, 6-2, win at No. 2 versus Rajovic.
Cumberland begins a six-match homestand this Saturday, taking on Olivet Nazarene at 11 a.m. at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
#18 Cumberland University 5, #12 Middle Georgia State 3
1. Maike Nagele (MGA) def. Ainhoa Garijo Garrido (CU), 6-2, 6-2
2. Jessica Hernandez (CU) def. Andjela Rajovic (MGA), 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
3. Franziska Nobis (MGA) def. Ksenija Dmitrovic (CU), 6-0, 6-2
4. Marianela Landi (CU) def. Luciana Peyrera (MGA), 6-1, 6-3
5. Kylie Humphrey (CU) def. Lara Persiani (MGA), 7-5, 6-2
6. Ana María Collazos (CU) vs Jacqueline Heer (MGA), 4-4, DNF
1. Garijo Garrido-Hernandez (CU) def. Nagele-Nobis (MGA), 8-6
2. Persiani-Peyrera (MGA) def. Dmitrovic-Landi (CU), 8-1
3. Stefanie Navaratnam-Humphrey (CU) def. Heer-Rajovic (MGA), 8-5
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,1,4,5,2)