LEBANON, Tenn. – Ainhoa Garijo Garrido and Jessica Hernandez registered singles and doubles wins, but sixth-ranked William Woods University won the final three singles outings in a 5-4 victory against 13th-ranked Cumberland in women’s tennis action Saturday at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
The Owls ended a five-match winning streak for the Phoenix (6-2) and dropped CU’s record this season to 3-2 versus ranked opponents.
William Woods posted two doubles victories, with 11th-ranked Paige Smith and Julia Perez defeating Ksenija Dmitrovic and Marianela Landi, 8-5, at No. 2 and 18th-ranked Chelsea Steward and Felicia Cesar winning by the same score at No. 3 over Kylie Humphrey and Stefanie Navaratham.
Sixth-ranked Garijo Garrido and Hernandez picked up an 8-3 victory at No. 1 versus fourth-ranked Ana Zavala and Zlata Shuraeva.
Cumberland won the first three matches on the court in singles, starting with 13th-ranked Garijo Garrido defeating 27th-ranked Perez, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 1. Hernandez, ranked 31st, registered a 7-5, 6-4, win at No. 2 versus eighth-ranked Shuraeva and Landi collected a 1-6, 6-3, 6-4, win at No. 3 against 19th-ranked Cesar.
The Owls (2-3) recorded wins in the final three matches, all in straight sets, starting with 22nd-ranked Zavala defeating Humphrey, 6-2, 6-4, at No. 4. Steward, ranked 39th, won 6-2, 6-0, against Ana María Collazos at No. 5 and 36th-ranked Karyna Sagalai clinched the match for William Woods with a 6-0, 6-0, victory at No. 6 over Navaratnam.
Cumberland finishes a five-match homestand this coming week, taking on Lindenwood-Belleville on Tuesday at 11 a.m. and Southeastern University on Friday at 10 a.m.
#6 William Woods 5, #13 Cumberland University 4
1. #13 Ainhoa Garijo Garrido (CU) def. #27 Julia Perez (WWU), 6-2, 6-1
2. #31 Jessica Hernandez (CU) def. #8 Zlata Shuraeva (WWU), 7-5, 6-4
3. Marianela Landi (CU) def. #19 Felicia Cesar (WWU), 1-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. #22 Ana Zavala (WWU) def. Kylie Humphrey (CU), 6-2, 6-4
5. #39 Chelsea Steward (WWU) def. Ana María Collazos (CU), 6-2, 6-0
6. #36 Karyna Sagalai (WWU) def. Stefanie Navaratnam (CU), 6-0, 6-0
1. #6 Garijo Garrido-Hernandez (CU) def. #4 Zavala-Shuraeva (WWU), 8-3
2. #11 Paige Smith-Perez (WWU) def. Ksenija Dmitrovic-Landi (CU), 8-5
3. #18 Cesar-Steward (WWU) def. Humphrey-Navaratnam (CU), 8-5
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,2,3,4,5,6)