LEBANON, Tenn. – Ainhoa Garijo Garrido and Marianela Landi recorded singles wins and Garijo Garrido and Jessica Hernandez collected a doubles victory, but 20th-ranked University of the Cumberlands posted the final two points in singles in a 5-3 win against No. 15 Cumberland in women’s tennis action Friday in Williamsburg, Ky.
The match started outdoors in Williamsburg and finished indoors in London, Ky., after rain late in the day. The teams were tied at three with three singles matches left on the court when rain forced everyone indoors.
The Patriots (6-4, 1-2 Mid-South) picked up two doubles victories, though the sixth-ranked duo of Garijo Garrido and Hernandez registered an 8-2 win at No. 1 over Tessa Gray and Grace Steely. Jaclyn Jewell and Tomomi Nagao, ranked 13th nationally, blanked Kylie Humphrey and Stefanie Navaratnam at No. 2 and Sydney White and Mikaela Fros outlasted Ksenija Dmitrovic and Landi, 8-1, in a tiebreaker at No. 3.
Garijo Garrido, ranked 13th in the country in singles, quickly tied the match at two with a 6-4, 6-2, victory at No. 1 versus Jewell, but 18th-ranked Nagao defeated No. 31 Hernandez at No. 2, 6-2, 6-4. Landi evened the match at three with a 1-6, 6-1, 6-4, win at No. 3 over Fros.
Steely posted a 6-2, 6-2, victory at No. 5 against Ana María Collazos and Gray finished off the match with a 6-4, 6-0, win at No. 6 versus Navaratnam. Luka Lyttle led Humphrey, 6-2, 5-4, at No. 4 when the match was stopped.
The Phoenix (7-4, 0-1) travel to 17th-ranked Georgetown College for a 3 p.m. match Saturday and finish the road swing Sunday at 10 a.m. in Cincinnati, Ohio, against Shawnee State.
#20 University of the Cumberlands 5, #15 Cumberland University 3
1. #13 Ainhoa Garijo Garrido (CU) def. Jaclyn Jewell (UC), 6-4, 6-2
2. #18 Tomomi Nagao (UC) def. #31 Jessica Hernandez (CU), 6-2, 6-4
3. Marianela Landi (CU) def. Mikaela Fros (UC), 1-6, 6-1, 6-4
4. Kylie Humphrey (CU) vs. Luka Lyttle (UC), 2-6, 5-4, DNF
5. Grace Steely (UC) def. Ana María Collazos (CU), 6-2, 6-2
6. Tessa Gray (UC) def. Stefanie Navaratnam (CU), 6-4, 6-0
1. #6 Garijo Garrido-Hernandez (CU) def. Gray-Steely (UC), 8-2
2. #13 Jewell-Nagao (UC) def. Humphrey-Navaratnam (CU), 8-0
3. Sydney White-Fros (UC) def. Ksenija Dmitrovic-Landi (CU), 9-8 (1)
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,2,3,5,6)