LEBANON, Tenn. – Ainhoa Garido Garrijo and Marianela Landi posted singles victories but 17th-ranked Georgetown College won the final four singles outings for a 5-4 victory over No. 15 Cumberland in women’s tennis action Saturday in Georgetown, Ky.
The Phoenix (8-5, 1-2 Mid-South) rebounded with a 9-0 win Sunday versus Shawnee State in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Cumberland won 2-of-3 doubles matches against Georgetown to open the match, which was forced indoors because of inclement weather.
Georgetown’s Lauren Fazenbaker and Madelyn Kauffman posted an 8-0 win versus Landi and Ksenija Dmitrovic at No. 2 doubles, but sixth-ranked Garijo Garrido and Jessica Hernandez registered an 8-2 victory against Amanda Moore and Maci Ferguson at No. 1.
Stefanie Navaratnam and Kylie Humphrey outlasted Abigail Kennedy and Katie Swanson, 8-5, in a tiebreaker at No. 3 for a 2-1 CU lead in the match after doubles.
Garijo Garrido, ranked 13th nationally in singles, defeated Fazenbaker, 6-4, 6-0, at No. 1 and Landi followed with a 6-3, 6-1, win at No. 3 versus Moore for a 4-1 Phoenix advantage, but the Tigers came storming back.
Kauffman posted a 6-2, 6-2, victory at No. 4 over Ana María Collazos and Swanson collected a 6-2, 6-1, triumph at No. 5 against Humphrey. Noel Bielski tied the match with a 6-3, 6-2, win at No. 6 versus Dmitrovic.
Ferguson completed the comeback for Georgetown with a 6-4, 2-6, 6-3, victory at No. 2 against 31st-ranked Hernandez.
Cumberland lost just three total games in Sunday’s match versus Shawnee State, which was also indoors.
Garijo Garrido and Landi did not lose a game in a win at No. 1 doubles against Jessica Willard and Regan Osborn while Collazos and Dmitrovic posted an 8-1 victory at No. 2 versus Molly Stockton and Claire Carruthers. Navaratnam and Humphrey won by the same score at No. 3 over Caleigh O’Neal and Shelby Hay.
Landi defeated Hay, 6-0, 6-0, at No. 2 before Garijo Garrido registered a 6-1, 6-0, victory at No. 1 against Willard and Collazos netted a 6-0, 6-0, triumph at No. 3 over Carruthers.
The last three matches were all 6-0, 6-0, scores, with Dmitrovic defeating Stockton at No. 5, Humphrey winning against O’Neal at No. 4 and Navaratnam doing the same versus Osborn at No. 6.
Cumberland hosts 20th-ranked Campbellsville University at 2 p.m. on Wednesday, the first of three straight home matches this week for the Phoenix.
#15 Cumberland University 9, Shawnee State 0
1. #13 Ainhoa Garijo Garrido (CU) def. Jessica Willard (CU), 6‐1, 6‐0
2. Marianela Landi (CU) def. Shelby Hay (CU), 6‐0, 6‐0
3. Ana Maria Collazos (CU) def. Claire Carruthers (CU), 6‐0, 6‐0
4. Kylie Humphrey (CU) def. Caleigh O’Neal (CU), 6‐0, 6‐0
5. Ksenija Dmitrovic (CU) def. Molly Stockton (CU), 6‐0, 6‐0
6. Stefanie Navaratnam (CU) def. Regan Osborn (CU), 6‐0, 6‐0
1. Garijo Garrido‐Landi (CU) def. Willard‐Osborn (SSU), 8‐0
2. Ana María Collazos‐Dmitrovic (CU) def. Stockton‐Carruthers (SSU), 8‐1
3. Navaratnam‐Humphrey (CU) def. O’Neal‐Hay (SSU), 8‐1
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,1,3,5,4,6)
#17 Georgetown College 5, #15 Cumberland University 4
1. #13 Ainhoa Garijo Garrido (CU) def. Lauren Fazenbaker (GEOR), 6‐4, 6‐0
2. Maci Ferguson (GEOR) def. #31 Jessica Hernandez (CU), 6‐4, 2‐6, 6‐3
3. Marianela Landi (CU) def. Amanda Moore (GEOR), 6‐3, 6‐1
4. Madelyn Kauffman (GEOR) def. Ana María Collazos (CU), 6‐2, 6‐2
5. Katie Swanson (GEOR) def. Kylie Humphrey (CU), 6‐2, 6‐1
6. Noel Bielski (GEOR) def. Ksenija Dmitrovic (CU), 6‐3, 6‐2
1. #6 Garijo Garrido‐Hernandez (CU) def. Moore‐Ferguson (GEOR), 8‐2
2. Fazenbaker‐Kauffman (GEOR) def. Landi‐Dmitrovic (CU), 8‐0
3. Stefanie Navaratnam‐Humphrey (CU) def. Abigail Kennedy‐Swanson (GEOR), 9‐8 (5)
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,3,4,5,6,2)