LEBANON, Tenn. – Ksenija Dmitrovic posted a three-set singles victory and Kylie Humphrey and Stefanie Navaratnam collected a doubles win for 20th-ranked Cumberland, but 11th-ranked Westmont College registered five singles decisions in straight sets en route to a 7-2 triumph over the Phoenix in the first round of the 39th Annual NAIA Women’s Tennis Championships on Tuesday in Mobile, Ala.
Cumberland (11-8) ends the season with the loss, the second straight year the program received an at-large berth into the national tournament.
The Warriors (20-5) started with a pair of doubles wins, as 24th-ranked Emily Peterson and Isabel Lee defeated Ana María Collazos and Marianela Landi, 8-2, at No. 2, but Humphrey and Navaratnam evened the doubles with an 8-3 victory at No. 3 versus Zarina Huber and Rachel Jackson.
Westmont’s 11th-ranked Taylor Cheung-Damonte and Cade Pierson tallied an 8-2 decision at No. 1 against seventh-ranked Jessica Hernandez and Ainhoa Garijo Garrido.
Jackson picked up the first singles victory for the Warriors with a 6-0, 6-1, win at No. 5 against Humphrey and 10th-ranked Pierson collected a 6-4, 6-1, triumph at No. 1 versus No. 11 Garijo Garrido. Twenty-third ranked Lee clinched the match for Westmont with a 6-1, 6-1, decision at No. 2 against 27th-ranked Hernandez.
Cheung-Damonte defeated Landi, 6-2, 6-0, at No. 3 and Sidney Lowry recorded a 6-1, 6-0, win at No. 6 over Navaratnam. Dmitrovic posted the only singles point for the Phoenix with a 7-6, 4-6, 10-4, result at No. 4 versus Peterson.
#11 Westmont College 7, #20 Cumberland University
1. #10 Cade Pierson (WEST) def. #11 Ainhoa Garijo Garrido (CU) 6-4, 6-1
2. #23 Isabel Lee (WEST) def. #27 Jessica Hernandez (CU), 6-1, 6-1
3. Taylor Cheung-Damonte (WEST) def. Marianela Landi (CU), 6-2, 6-0
4. Ksenija Dmitrovic (CU) def. Emily Peterson (WEST), 7-6, 4-6, 10-4
5. Rachal Jackson (WEST) def. Kylie Humphrey (CU), 6-0, 6-1
6. Sidney Lowry (WEST) def. Stefanie Navaratnam (CU), 6-1, 6-0
1. #11 Cheung-Damonte-Pierson (WEST) def. #7 Hernandez-Garijo Garrido (CU), 8-2
2. #24 Peterson-Lee (WEST) def. Ana María Collazos-Landi (CU), 8-2
3. Humphrey-Navaratnam (CUTN) def. Zarina Huber-Jackson (WEST), 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,1,2,3,6,4)