February 14, 20131st2ndFinal
Shawnee State393473
Cumberland Univ.352863
Stats at a GlanceSSUACU-M
FG Percentage.644 (29-45) .434 (23-53)
3P FG Percentage.400 (4-10) .421 (8-19)
FT Percentage.579 (11-19) .643 (9-14)
Offensive Rebounds910
Defensive Rebounds2312
Total Rebounds3222
Bench Points1218
PointsBennington - 18
Morgan - 18
Stewart - 17
ReboundsMorgan - 11
Stewart - 6
AssistsBennington - 6
Blackmon - 5
StealsGouch - 2
Banks - 2
Stewart - 3
Towns - 3
BlocksDevlin - 4
Gude - 2
Cumberland unable to close in final minutes
Thursday, February 14, 2013
Cumberland unable to close in final minutes
Charles Stewart recorded 17 points and six rebounds for the Bulldogs versus Shawnee State on Thursday night. (Credit Steve Wampler)

LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland was outscored 13-2 in the final four minutes versus Shawnee State University Thursday night, falling to the Bears 73-63 at the Dallas Floyd Recreation Center.

A free throw by Daniel McFadden gave CU a 61-60 advantage with 4:25 left in the game, but the Bulldogs committed three costly turnovers in the ensuing four possessions to give SSU a six-point lead with 2:28 to go. McFadden connected on a layup to slice the lead to four with 1:19 to play, but the Bears went on to convert two buckets and two free throws to seal the game.

Charles Stewart had a big night for CU (8-18, 4-13), scoring 17 points on 7-of-12 shooting and grabbing six rebounds. McFadden contributed 12 points for the Bulldogs and Jerret Towns added 10.

Stewart scored eight of the Bulldogs’ first 10 points on the night, with three of those points coming from his first 3-point goal of the season, to give CU a 10-8 lead. Cameron Prather then knocked down his first 3-pointer of the year to extend the lead to five at the 13:49 mark.

The Bulldogs led by as many as nine with just over seven minutes remaining in the first half but went without a field goal for the last six minutes of the period while the Bears went on a 12-1 to lead 39-34 at the break.

The Bears pulled ahead by eight a minute into the second half on a tip-in by Andrew Devlin before Lester Gude drilled a shot from beyond the arc to cut the lead to 43-38. In three successive possessions beginning with 15:12 on the clock, CU drained a three-pointer, one each from Prather, Towns and Gude to cut SSU’s lead to 52-51, and then took the lead on a layup by McFadden with 12:41 left to play.

A bucket by Stewart gave CU its biggest lead of half at 59-54 with 10 minutes left in the contest but the Bears responded with two jumpers to pull within one point and held Cumberland to one field goal in the final eight minutes.

For Shawnee State (16-9, 11-5), Tyler Morgan and Jeremy Bennington each scored 18 points and Morgan tallied 11 rebounds.

Cumberland wraps up the weekend at home versus the University of Rio Grande at 4 p.m. on Saturday.