September 05, 20161st2nd1OT Final
Keiser Univ.0202
Cumberland Univ.1113
CU16:43McNamara, Brian (Armstrong, Josh , Owens, Marty)
KUMSOC1652:06Reece Weldon
CU72:22Reilly, Tom (Goodwin, Elliot , Armstrong, Josh)
KUMSOC1675:44Reece Weldon
CU90:41Murombo, Valentine
KUMSOC16Lee Clark90:4131
CUStrutz, Bennet90:4122
Stats at a GlanceKUMSOC16CU
Shots (on Goal)11 (4) 11 (4)
Corner Kicks68
Yellow Cards22
Murombo hammers home game-winner in OT
Monday, September 5, 2016
Murombo hammers home game-winner in OT
Valentine Murombo drilled home the game-winner 41 seconds into overtime in CU's 3-2 win Monday over Keiser. (Credit Steve Wampler)

LEBANON, Tenn. – Valentine Murombo picked up a deflection in the box and buried it 41 seconds into overtime, giving 19th-ranked Cumberland a 3-2 victory over Keiser University in men’s soccer here Monday afternoon at Lindsey Donnell Stadium-Kirk Field.

Cumberland led 1-0 and 2-1, but Reece Weldon tied the match twice for the Seahawks, converting a penalty kick in the 53rd minute and drilling a free kick from 35 yards in the 76th minute.

Neither team was able to find the back of the net in the final 14 minutes, but the Phoenix (3-1-0) started quickly in the extra period. Elliot Goodwin dribbled down the right side and crossed into the box. The ball deflected off a Keiser defender and Murombo was right there to pick it up, hammering home a one-timer in the top of the net.

The teams finished with 11 shots apiece in the back-and-forth match, with CU goalkeeper Bennet Strutz collecting two saves compared to three stops for Keiser’s Lee Clark.

Cumberland held a 1-0 advantage at intermission after a beautiful goal in the 17th minute, with Marty Owens playing outside the Josh Armstrong, who crossed the Brian McNamara for a header to the far post into the net.

The Seahawks quickly equalized after the break, with Ben Frogner drawing a foul in the box and Weldon converting the PK past Strutz.

The action was up-and-down for just about the entire 90 minutes, with Keiser holding possession for a good majority of the second period, but CU retook the lead off a corner kick.

Armstrong’s corner was deflected by Goodwin and headed toward the far post on the ground, where Tom Reilly tapped in the goal in the 73rd minute. Weldon again answered for the Seahawks, taking a free kick from 35 yards out down the left side, with the shot bouncing over the outstretched arms of Strutz and just inside the near post only three minutes later. That set-up Murombo’s game-winner less than a minute into overtime.

Cumberland hosts Tennessee Wesleyan this Saturday at 2 p.m., ending a stretch of four home matches in five outings to start the season for the Phoenix.