0, 1st2ndFinal
Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)112
Cumberland (Tenn.)011
LIND 30:47Andrew Revanales (Adam,Anouar )
LIND 81:42Andrew Revanales (Morgan,Neville )
CU 83:02Julian Lucumi
LINDWilliam Diaz90:0015
CUBennet Strutz90:0023
Stats at a GlanceLINDCU
Shots (on Goal)8 (5) 19 (7)
Corner Kicks28
Yellow Cards34
Red Cards12
Late goal pushes Blue Raiders past CU
Friday, November 9, 2018
Late goal pushes Blue Raiders past CU
Tyler Watson darts past Lindsey Wilson players with the ball in Friday night's 2-1 loss in the MSC Tournament Championship game. (Credit Chris Wells)

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. – Andrew Revanales scored a pair of goals, the second one into an empty net in the 82nd minute after a controversial play, giving seventh-ranked Lindsey Wilson a 2-1 victory over Cumberland in the championship match of the Mid-South Conference Men’s Soccer Tournament here Friday night.

The defeat ended a 10-match unbeaten streak for the Phoenix, who had not lost since September 29 at Georgia Gwinnett.

Cumberland controlled the run of play for much of the first 30 minutes, getting five shots and keeping possession from the Blue Raiders. That all changed in a heartbeat when Anouar Adam served a ball from the right sideline almost 35 yards to the middle of the field in the 31st minute.

The pass found Revanales near the top of the box and his header sailed over the head of Bennet Strutz, who had come off his line in anticipation of intercepting the long ball. Lindsey Wilson led 1-0 at intermission.

The match stayed 1-0 into the 63rd minute when Daniel Williams’ left-footer shot from the left hit the far post, bouncing to the middle of the field near the penalty spot. Tyler Watson’s shot from there was blocked but bounced to the feet of Martin Walsh, whose shot was deflected and rolled off the same far post. All three shots took place in a matter of 15-20 seconds.

Cumberland continued to press, getting six corner kicks in the second half along, but the Phoenix were unable to find the back of the net.

With 10 players pushed forward on another corner, including Strutz, in the final 10 minutes, Lindsey Wilson cleared the ball away to Neville Morgan near midfield. His pass forward to a streaking Revanales was tipped by Markus Skraastad.

Revanales was offsides when the ball was kicked but beat Strutz to the play, dribbling around the goalkeeper and shooting into an empty net in the 82nd minute.

Cumberland continued to press and finally got on the board on a beautiful free kick by Julian Lucumi in the 84th minute. The shot from 25 yards went around the wall and into the left corner of the net.

Lindsey Wilson goalkeeper William Diaz saved the match for his team less than two minutes later, making an incredible diving save on a header by Sondre Risa. That was Cumberland’s last best chance in the incredibly physical match that included 37 total fouls, seven yellow cards and three red cards.