Bulldogs fall 5-1 to Bethel
LEBANON, Tenn. – Kody Horne and Johannes Jonsson won their doubles match but Cumberland dropped two other doubles outings and three singles matches in a 5-1 defeat Tuesday to 14th-ranked Bethel College at the CU Tennis Courts.
Horne and Jonsson provided Cumberland (4-7) with its only point of the match, an 8-5 doubles triumph over Luke Newbold and Bill Robertson at No. 3. Bethel’s Fernando Ristow and Andres Mejia defeated Slava Glebov and Felipe Oliveira, 8-6, at No. 1 doubles and BC’s Amarit Sanchez and Gustavo Hoewell won 8-1 at No. 2 over Devin Crotzer and Na’im Azhar.
In singles Bethel posted wins at Nos. 1, 3 and 4 for the final 5-1 team victory.
Ristow defeated Glebov, 3-6, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 1, while Hoewell won 6-1, 6-0, over Horne at No. 4 and Newbold posted a 6-0, 6-0, victory at No. 5 against Crotzer.
Both teams will participate in the NAIA Qualifying Tournament this weekend in Springfield, Ill., along with Martin Methodist, Illinois-Springfield, Missouri Baptist and McKendree University.
#14 Bethel College 5, Cumberland 1
1. Fernando Ristow (BC) def. Slava Glebov (CU), 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
2. Na’im Azhar (CU) vs. Andres Mejia (BC), 5-7, DNF
3. Felipe Oliveira (CU) vs. Amarit Sanchez (BC), 1-6, 0-3, DNF
4. Gustavo Hoewell (BC) def. Kody Horne (CU), 6-1, 6-0
5. Luke Newbold (BC) def. Devin Crotzer (CU), 6-0, 6-0
6. Johannes Jonsson (CU) vs. Bill Robertson (BC), DNP
1. Ristow-Mejia (BC) def. Glebov-Oliveira (CU), 8-6
2. Sanchez-Hoewell (BC) def. Azhar-Crotzer (CU), 8-1
3. Horne-Jonsson (CU) def. Newbold-Robertson (BC), 8-5