LEBANON, Tenn. – Eastern Kentucky posted wins in all three doubles outings and victories in all six singles matches en route to a 7-0 victory over Cumberland on Friday in men’s tennis action in the season opener for the Bulldogs in Richmond, Ky.
The Bulldogs had their chances in all three doubles matches, but the home team prevailed in all three.
EKU’s Philip Janz and Hugo Klientovsky defeated Evan Sanna and Na’im Azhar, 8-3, at No. 1, while Carlos Pons and Niklas Schroeder won by the same score over Pedro Rodriguez and Devin Crotzer at No. 2. Parul Verma and Jan Dombrowski posted an 8-4 triumph at No. 3 against Jeremy Fleming and Shawn Schaefer.
In singles EKU won all singles matches in straight sets. Alex Das defeated Sanna, 6-0, 6-0, at No. 1, while Verma claimed a 6-2, 6-0, victory at No. 2 against Azhar. Janz posted a 6-2, 6-0, win at No. 3 over Rodriguez, and Pons won 6-0, 6-1, at No. 4 against Crotzer.
Emilio Piriz defeated Fleming, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 5, and Joao Maio won 6-1, 6-1, over Schaefer at No. 6. Cumberland plays again February 27 at Western Kentucky.
The Bulldogs open the home schedule March 1 against Lindsey Wilson.
Eastern Kentucky 7, Cumberland Univ. 0
1. Alex Das (EKU) def. Evan Sanna (CU), 6-0, 6-0
2. Parul Verma (EKU) def. Na’im Azhar (CU), 6-2, 6-0
3. Philip Janz (EKU) def. Pedro Rodriguez (CU), 6-2, 6-0
4. Carlos Pons (EKU) def. Devin Crotzer (CU), 6-0, 6-1
5. Emilio Piriz (EKU) def. Jeremy Fleming (CU), 6-1, 6-1
6. Joao Maio (EKU) def. Shawn Schaefer (CU), 6-1, 6-1
1. Janz-Hugo Klientovsky (EKU) def. Sanna-Azhar (CU), 8-3
2. Pons-Niklas Schroeder (EKU) def. Rodriguez-Crotzer (CU), 8-3
3. Verma-Jan Dombrowski (EKU) def. Fleming-Schaefer (CU), 8-4