LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland’s Na’im Azhar and Evan Sanna paired to win their doubles match and each won his singles outing, as the Bulldogs took the doubles point and the top three singles matches to claim a 4-3 victory over Western Kentucky in men’s tennis action Sunday in Bowling Green, Ky.
The Bulldogs (1-1) won the top two doubles matches, both by scores of 8-5, and Azhar and Pedro Rodrigues each claimed straight-set singles victories at Nos. 2 and 3, respectively. Sanna’s 4-6, 6-0, 6-4, triumph at the top spot in singles was the deciding point, giving CU the team victory.
Cumberland started strong with wins in the top two doubles outings, as Sanna and Azhar defeated Arul Selvan and Bobby Whitmer at No. 1 and Devin Crotzer and Rodrigues won against Craig Kirchgessner and Caleb Ball. WKU claimed the other singles match, 8-1, with Currie Martin and Lance Freeman posting the victory over Jeremy Fleming and Cristhian Hernandez.
In singles all but the No. 1 matchup finished in straight sets.
Azhar defeated Kirchgessner, 6-3, 6-2, at No. 2, and Rodrigues won 6-4, 6-4, against Martin at No. 3.
The Hilltoppers claimed the final three spots in the lineup, with Freeman posting a 6-3, 6-4, win over Crotzer at No. 4, Whitmer defeating Fleming, 6-1, 6-3, at No. 5, and Ball posted a 6-2, 6-4, triumph over Hernandez at No. 6.
Sanna outlasted Selvan at No. 1 singles for the final point of the match.
Cumberland hosts 13th-ranked Lindsey Wilson on Tuesday at 1 p.m. at the Gray Memorial Tennis Courts on campus.
Cumberland Univ. 4, Western Kentucky 3
1. Evan Sanna (CU) def. Arul Selvan (WKU), 4-6, 6-0, 6-4
2. Na’im Azhar (CU) def. Craig Kirchgessner (WKU), 6-3, 6-2
3. Pedro Rodrigues (CU) def. Currie Martin (WKU), 6-4, 6-4
4. Lance Freeman (WKU) def. Devin Crotzer (CU), 6-3, 6-4
5. Bobby Whitmer (WKU) def. Jeremy Fleming (CU), 6-1, 6-3
6. Caleb Ball (WKU) def. Cristhian Hernandez (CU), 6-2, 6-4
1. Sanna-Azhar (CU) def. Selvan-Whitmer (WKU), 8-5
2. Crotzer-Rodrigues (CU) def. Kirchgessner-Ball (WKU), 8-5
3. Martin-Freeman (WKU) def. Fleming-Hernandez (CU), 8-1