LEBANON, Tenn. – Na’im Azhar won his singles match in straight sets and Cristhian Hernandez and Jeremy Fleming combined for a doubles victory, but 18th-ranked Cumberland trailed Lindsey Wilson, 4-2, when the match was suspended because of rain Friday in Columbia, Ky. The final three singles matches will be completed in Lebanon on Tuesday at 9:30 a.m.
Lindsey Wilson (3-5) picked up two doubles victories and two singles triumphs, including a three-set win at No. 3 singles by Victor Saez. The Bulldogs (4-1) must win the three remaining singles matches to claim a victory over the Blue Raiders.
LWC’s Andrews Moraes and Andre Santos posted an 8-0 victory at No. 1 doubles over Evan Sanna and Azhar, and Saez and Fabricio Morales won 8-4 at No. 2 against Devin Crotzer and Pedro Rodrigues. Hernandez and Fleming teamed to win at No. 3 doubles over Joe Cox and Clinton Berry, 8-2.
In singles Morales defeated Sanna, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 1, while Saez outlasted Rodrigues, 6-1, 2-6, 6-4, at No. 3 singles before the rains came. Azhar posted a 6-4, 7-5, victory at No. 2 against Moraes for the Bulldogs.
Cumberland hosts 24th-ranked Martin Methodist on Saturday at 11 a.m. at the Tommy Gray Memorial Tennis Courts on the CU campus. The Bulldogs also play Campbellsville at home on Monday at 2 p.m. before completing the match against Lindsey Wilson on Tuesday.
Lindsey Wilson 4, #18 Cumberland Univ. 2, Suspended
1. Fabricio Morales (LWC) def. Evan Sanna (CU), 6-2, 6-2
2. Na’im Azhar (CU) def. Andrews Moraes (LWC), 6-4, 7-5
3. Victor Saez (LWC) def. Pedro Rodrigues (CU), 6-1, 2-6, 6-4
4. Devin Crotzer (CU) vs. Andre Santos (LWC), DNP
5. Cristhian Hernandez (CU) vs. Joe Cox (LWC), DNP
6. Jeremy Fleming (CU) vs. Clinton Berry (LWC), DNP
1. Moraes-Santos (LWC) def. Sanna-Azhar (CU), 8-0
2. Saez-Morales (LWC) def. Crotzer-Rodrigues (CU), 8-4
3. Hernandez-Fleming (CU) def. Cox-Berry (LWC), 8-2