LEBANON, Tenn. – Fabio Santos outlasted Devin Crotzer in three sets at No. 4 singles, leading 24th-ranked Martin Methodist to a 5-4 victory over 18th-ranked Cumberland in men’s tennis action Saturday at the Tommy Gray Memorial Tennis Courts on the CU campus.
Santos’ victory helped the RedHawks (8-4) come back from an early deficit after the Bulldogs (4-2) won two of the three doubles matches. Cumberland also won singles matches at Nos. 2 and 3, but Martin Methodist claimed the other four singles outings for the narrow victory.
Cumberland’s Na’im Azhar and Pedro Rodrigues defeated Vinicius Santos and Renato Castro, 8-6, at No. 1 doubles, and Evan Sanna and Devin Crotzer claimed an 8-5 victory at No.2 over Fabio Santos and Juan Suarez. MMC’s Alvaro Morcillo and Alejandro Yanes posted an 8-4 win at No. 3 against Cristhian Hernandez and Jeremy Fleming.
In singles Vinicius Santos defeated Sanna, 6-4, 6-1, at No. 1 singles, but Azhar won 6-1, 6-2, over Castro at No. 2 and Rodrigues recorded a 6-2, 6-3, victory at No. 3 against Morcillo. The RedHawks posted victories in the final three singles matches, starting with Juarez defeating Fleming, 6-4, 6-4, at No. 5 and Yanes claiming a 6-3, 6-2, victory over Hernandez at No. 6. For his efforts Azhar was named the Music City Star of the Game.
Fabio Santos outlasted Crotzer for the deciding point, registering a 6-3, 3-6, 6-3, victory at No. 4 doubles.
Cumberland and Martin Methodist have split its two dual matches this season, with CU claiming a 6-3 victory in Pulaski on March 16.
Cumberland hosts Campbellsville University on Monday at 2 p.m. at the Tommy Gray Memorial Tennis Courts and will finish a suspended match against Lindsey Wilson on Tuesday at 9:30 a.m. at home as well.
#24 Martin Methodist 5, #18 Cumberland Univ. 4
1. Vinicius Santos (MMC) def. Evan Sanna (CU), 6-4, 6-1
2. Na’im Azhar (CU) def. Renato Castro (MMC), 6-1, 6-2
3. Pedro Rodrigues (CU) def. Alvaro Morcillo (MMC), 6-2, 6-3
4. Fabio Santos (MMC) def. Devin Crotzer (CU), 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
5. Juan Suarez (MMC) def. Jeremy Fleming (CU), 6-4, 6-4
6. Alejandro Yanes (MMC) def. Cristhian Hernandez (CU), 6-3, 6-2
1. Azhar-Rodrigues (CU) def. V. Santos-Castro (MMC), 8-6
2. Sanna-Crotzer (CU) def. F. Santos-Suarez (MMC), 8-5
3. Morcillo-Yanes (MMC) def. Hernandez-Fleming (CU), 8-4