LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland swept all three doubles matches and all six singles outings, as the 22nd-ranked Bulldogs defeated Georgetown College, 9-0, Friday afternoon at the Tommy Gray Memorial Tennis Courts on campus.
Cumberland (5-3) ended a two-match losing streak with the victory. The Bulldogs play again Saturday at 11 a.m. at Alabama-Huntsville.
Cumberland won all three doubles matches with ease, as Pedro Rodrigues and Na’im Azhar defeated Jose Baeza and Zach Thomas, 8-2, at No. 1; Evan Sanna and Devin Crotzer won 8-1 over Carlos Del Valle and Gustavo Echeverria; and Jeremy Fleming and Cristhian Hernandez posted an 8-1 victory against Ross Phelps and Alex Lewis.
In singles the Bulldogs won all six matches in straight sets, starting with Sanna defeating Baeza, 6-2, 6-0, at No. 1, and Azhar winning 6-1, 6-3, over Echeverria at No. 2. Rodrigues prevailed, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 3 against Thomas, and Crotzer won 6-2, 6-0, at No. 4 versus Del Valle. Fleming defeated Phelps, 6-4, 6-0, over Phelps at No. 5, and Hernandez posted a 6-0, 6-1, victory against Lewis at No. 6. For his efforts Fleming was named the Music City Star of the Game.
#22 Cumberland Univ. 9, Georgetown College
1. Evan Sanna (CU) def. Jose Baeza (GC), 6-2, 6-0
2. Na’im Azhar (CU) def. Gustavo Echeverria (GC), 6-1, 6-3
3. Pedro Rodrigues (CU) def. Zach Thomas (GC), 6-2, 6-1
4. Devin Crotzer (CU) def. Carlos Del Valle (GC), 6-2, 6-0
5. Jeremy Fleming (CU) def. Ross Phelps (GC), 6-4, 6-0
6. Cristhian Hernandez (CU) def. Alex Lewis (GC), 6-0, 6-1
1. Rodrigues-Azhar (CU) def. Baeza-Thomas (GC), 8-2
2. Sanna-Crotzer (CU) def. Del Valle-Echevarria (GC), 8-1
3. Fleming-Hernandez (CU) def. Phelps-Lewis (GC), 8-1