LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland swept the doubles matches and won four singles outings in straight sets, as the 22nd-ranked Bulldogs posted a 7-2 victory over Bethel University in men’s tennis action Wednesday in McKenzie, Tenn.
Cumberland (6-4, 3-1 TranSouth) won for the second time in three matches and tied Martin Methodist atop the TranSouth Conference standings.
In doubles the Bulldogs posted three easy victories, with Na’im Azhar and Pedro Rodrigues defeating Ryan Weatherly and Kristian Takac, 8-3, at No. 1; Devin Crotzer and Evan Sanna recording an 8-2 victory at No. 2 over Eduardo Espinar and Paolo Vecchi; and Jeremy Fleming and Cristhian Hernandez posting an 8-3 win at No. 3 against Joao Souza and Raphael Sousa.
In singles the top two and bottom two Bulldogs all registered victories in straight sets.
Sanna defeated Souza, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 1, and Azhar recorded a 6-1, 6-2, victory at No. 2 over Vecchi. Fleming posted a 6-4, 6-0, triumph at No. 5 against Weatherly, and Hernandez won 6-0, 6-1, versus Sousa at No. 6.
Bethel’s Espinar defeated Rodrigues, 6-4, 7-6 (3), at No. 3, and Takac recorded a 6-1, 6-2, victory at No. 4 against Crotzer.
Cumberland plays at Union College on Friday at Noon before playing its final two matches at home, including Monday against Western Kentucky at 2 p.m. and then April 21 versus McKendree Univ. at 1 p.m.
#22 Cumberland Univ. 7, Bethel Univ. 2
1. Evan Sanna (CU) def. Joao Souza (BU), 6-2, 6-1
2. Na’im Azhar (CU) def. Paolo Vecchi (BU), 6-1, 6-2
3. Eduardo Espinar (BU) def. Pedro Rodrigues (CU), 6-4, 7-6 (3)
4. Kristian Takac (BU) def. Devin Crotzer (CU), 6-1, 6-2
5. Jeremy Fleming (CU) def. Ryan Weatherly (BU), 6-4, 6-0
6. Cristhian Hernandez (CU) def. Raphael Sousa (BU), 6-0, 6-1
1. Azhar-Rodrigues (CU) def. Weatherly-Takac (BU), 8-3
2. Crotzer-Sanna (CU) def. Espinar-Vecchi (BU), 8-2
3. Fleming-Hernandez (CU) def. Souza-Sousa (BU), 8-3