LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland won two of the doubles matches and cruised through five singles victories, as the 22nd-ranked Bulldogs defeated Western Kentucky, 6-1, in men’s tennis action late Monday at the Tommy Gray Memorial Tennis Courts on the CU campus.
The Bulldogs (7-4) claimed two doubles victories and lost the other match in a tiebreaker.
CU’s Na’im Azhar and Pedro Rodrigues defeated Arul Selvan and Craig Kirchgessner, 8-6, at No. 1, and Cristhian Hernandez and Jeremy Fleming posted an 8-1 win at No. 3 over Bobby Whitmer and Caleb Ball. WKU’s Currie Martin and Lance Freeman posted a 9-8 (7) triumph at No. 2 against Evan Sanna and Devin Crotzer.
In singles Cumberland won five matches in straight sets, as Sanna defeated Selvan at No. 1, 6-3, 6-4, and Azhar won 6-2, 6-2, over Martin at No. 2. Rodrigues posted a 6-1, 6-2, victory at No. 2 against Kirchgessner, Fleming had a 9-8 (5) victory at No. 5 over Whitmer and Hernandez claimed a 9-8 (1) win at No. 6 against Ball. WKU’s only singles victory came at No. 4, where Freeman defeated Crotzer, 6-2, 6-0. For his efforts Hernandez was named the Music City Star of the Game.
Cumberland hosts McKendree University at 1 p.m. on Thursday before taking part in the NAIA Qualifying Tournament on April 29-30 at The Champions Club in Chattanooga, Tenn.
#22 Cumberland Univ. 6, Western Kentucky 1
1. Evan Sanna (CU) def. Arul Selvan (WKU), 6-3, 6-4
2. Na’im Azhar (CU) def. Currie Martin (WKU), 6-2, 6-2
3. Pedro Rodrigues (CU) def. Craig Kirchgessner (WKU), 6-1, 6-2
4. Lance Freeman (WKU) def. Devin Crotzer (CU), 6-2, 6-0
5. Jeremy Fleming (CU) def. Bobby Whitmer (WKU), 9-8 (5)
6. Cristhian Hernandez (CU) def. Caleb Ball (WKU), 9-8 (1)
1. Azhar-Rodrigues (CU) def. Selvan-Kirchgessner (WKU), 8-6
2. Martin-Freeman (WKU) def. Sanna-Crotzer (CU), 9-8 (7)
3. Hernandez-Fleming (CU) def. Whitmer-Ball (WKU), 8-1