LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland swept the doubles matches and Na’im Azhar posted the deciding singles victory, as the 16th-ranked Bulldogs battled through a pair of rain delays for a 6-0 victory over Campbellsville University in men’s tennis action Tuesday at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
The Bulldogs (15-1) won their fourth straight match and will now enter the NAIA Qualifying Tournament on Friday in Norcross, Ga., facing Reinhardt University.
CU started the match strong with three doubles victories, with 19th-ranked Antonio Manuel Marcelo and Evan Sanna getting back on track with an 8-5 victory over Carlos Anton and Pablo Numbela at No. 1. Devin Crotzer and Na’im Azhar defeated Sebastian Marot and Pontus Blom at No. 2, while Pedro Rodrigues and Andres Burgos claimed an 8-3 win at No. 3 versus Terry Caven and Zac Malyon.
In singles 29th-ranked Marcelo won 6-1, 6-4, at No. 1 and Rodrigues posted a 6-4, 6-0, victory at No. 4 against Blom, but Azhar’s 6-3, 6-2, triumph at No. 2 versus Marot clinched the victory. Sanna led 4-3 at No. 3 over Numbela and Burgos was up a set against Malyon at No. 5.
#16 Cumberland Univ. 6, Campbellsville Univ. 0
1. (29) Antonio Manuel Marcelo (CU) def. Carlos Anton (CAMP), 6-1, 6-4
2. Na’im Azhar (CU) def. Sebastian Marot (CAMP), 6-3, 6-2
3. Evan Sanna (CU) leads Pablo Numbela (CAMP), 4-3, DNF
4. Pedro Rodrigues (CU) def. Pontus Blom (CAMP), 6-4, 6-0
5. Andres Burgos (CU) leads Zac Malyon (CAMP), 6-2, DNF
6. Cristhian Hernandez (CU) vs. Alberto Diaz (CAMP), DNS
1. (19) Marcelo-Sanna (CU) def. Numbela-Anton (CAMP), 8-5
2. Devin Crotzer-Azhar (CU) def. Marot-Blom (CAMP), 8-2
3. Rodrigues-Burgos (CU) def. Terry Caven-Malyon (CAMP), 8-3