LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland swept all six singles matches, including Pablo Borrero’s three-setter, and Antonio Manual Marcelo returned to the lineup in doubles, as the 11th-ranked Bulldogs won 8-1 over North Alabama in men’s tennis action Wednesday in Florence, Ala.
The Bulldogs (2-0) will face 17th-ranked Graceland University in the opening round of the AUM Spring Invitational on Friday at 1 p.m. in Montgomery, Ala. CU has defeated a pair of NCAA teams in the early going this spring, including the season-opening February 22 win at Belmont University.
Marcelo and Rodrigues posted an 8-5 victory at No. 1 doubles over Matt Feury and Alaiksei Kavalenka while Jeremy Fleming and Borrero defeated Mirko Sommerfield and Alex Weber, 8-1, at No. 3 doubles. UNA’s Guillaume Dechoz and Rob Whitsitt claimed an 8-6 victory at No. 2 over Andres Burgos and Sebastian Nava.
In singles Rodrigues registered a 6-0, 7-5, win at No. 1 over Feury and Borrero came back to post a 2-6, 6-2, 6-0, victory over Dechoz at No. 2. Burgos recorded a 6-3, 7-6, triumph at No. 3 versus Sommerfield and Nava won 6-4, 6-4, against Kavalenka at No. 4.
Fleming collected a 6-3, 6-3, victory at No. 5 over Whitsitt and Cristhian Hernandez claimed a 6-2, 6-1, triumph at No. 6 against Weber.
#11 Cumberland Univ. 8, North Alabama1
1. Pedro Rodrigues (CU) def. Matt Feury (UNA), 6-0, 7-5
2. Pablo Borrero (CU) def. Guillaume Dechoz (UNA), 2-6, 6-2, 6-0
3. Andres Burgos (CU) def. Mirko Sommerfield (UNA), 6-3, 7-6
4. Sebastian Nava (CU) def. Alaiksei Kavalenka (UNA), 6-4, 6-4
5. Jeremy Fleming (CU) def. Rob Whitsitt (UNA), 6-3, 6-3
6. Cristhian Hernandez (CU) def. Alex Weber (UNA), 6-2, 6-1
1. Antonio Manuel Marcelo-Rodrigues (CU) def. Feury-Kavalenka (UNA), 8-5
2. Dechoz-Whitsitt (UNA) def. Burgos-Nava (CU), 8-6
3. Fleming-Borrero (CU) def. Sommerfield-Weber (UNA), 8-1