LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland swept both the singles and doubles matches en route to a 9-0 victory over 15th-ranked Campbellsville University on Sunday in men’s tennis action on the final day of the AUM Spring Invitational in Montgomery, Ala.
The Bulldogs improved to 4-1 on the season and will host Bluefield College in a Mid-South Conference match Monday at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts. CU also plays at home on Wednesday versus Martin Methodist and Friday against Tennessee Wesleyan.
In doubles the 10th-ranked duo of Antonio Manuel Marcelo and Pedro Rodrigues defeated Michael Rjazanov and Sebastian Marot, 8-2, at No. 1, while Pablo Borrero and Sebastian Nava eked out a 9-7 win at No. 2 over Alejandro Soriano and Pontus Blom and Andres Burgos and Jeremy Fleming won 8-3 at No. 2 versus Tyler Hyatt and Austin Spalding.
In singles Rodrigues claimed a 6-2, 7-6 win at No. 1 against Rjazanov and Borrero won 6-0, 6-2, over Marot at No. 2. Burgos outlasted Soriano at No. 3, 6-2, 2-6, 10-8 in the super tiebreaker, and Nava posted a 6-1, 6-4, victory versus Blom at No. 4.
Fleming registered a 6-0, 6-1, triumph at No. 5 over Spalding and Cristhian Hernandez won 6-2, 6-1, at No. 6 versus Austin Colliver.
Cumberland and Campbellsville play again in Mid-South Conference action on March 26 at Campbellsville, Ky.
#11 Cumberland Univ. 9, #15 Campbellsville Univ. 0
1. Pedro Rodrigues (CU) def. Michael Rjazanov (CAMP), 6-2, 7-6
2. Pablo Borrero (CU) def. Sebastian Marot (CAMP), 6-0, 6-2
3. Andres Burgos (CU) def. Alejandro Soriano (CAMP), 6-2, 2-6, 10-8
4. Sebastian Nava (CU) def. Pontus Blom (CAMP), 6-1, 6-4
5. Jeremy Fleming (CU) def. Austin Spalding (CAMP), 6-0, 6-1
6. Cristhian Hernandez (CU) def. Austin Colliver (CAMP), 6-2, 6-1
1. #10 Antonio Manuel Marcelo-Rodrigues (CU) def. Rjazanov-Marot (CAMP), 8-2
2. Borrero-Nava (CU) def. Soriano-Plum (CAMP), 9-7
3. Burgos-Fleming (CU) def. Tyler Hyatt-Spalding (CAMP), 8-3