LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland swept all six singles and all three doubles matches in a 9-0 victory for the 11th-ranked Bulldogs over Tennessee Wesleyan in men’s tennis action Friday at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts on campus.
The Bulldogs (6-1) swept the doubles matches easily, with 19th-ranked Antonio Manual Marcelo and Pedro Rodrigues claiming an 8-1 victory over Oleskii Lahuza and Bret Wade at No. 1. CU’s Pablo Borrero and Sebastian Nava defeated David Escobosa and Rodney Pineros, 8-3, at No. 2 and Andres Burgos and Jeremy Fleming won 8-2 at No. 3 over Gad Azulay and Fransico Gallardo.
Cumberland posted five straight-set wins in singles, starting with a 6-3, 6-1, victory for Rodrigues at No. 1 against Lahuza. Borrero outlasted Escobosa at No. 2, 6-2, 2-6, 6-1, while Burgos claimed a 6-1, 6-2, win at No. 3 versus Gallardo and Nava won 6-1, 6-0, at No. 4 against Azulay.
Fleming defeated Pineros, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 5 and Cristhian Hernandez did not lose a game in his victory at No. 6 versus Wade.
Cumberland hits the road for matches Monday and Tuesday at the University of Pikeville and UVA-Wise, respectively, before returning home March 22 for a tilt against second-ranked Auburn Montgomery.
#11 Cumberland 9, Tennessee Wesleyan 0
1. Pedro Rodrigues (CU) def. Oleskii Lahuza (TWC), 6-3, 6-1
2. Pablo Borrero (CU) def. David Escobosa (TWC), 6-2, 2-6, 6-1
3. Andres Burgos (CU) def. Fransico Gallardo (TWC), 6-1, 6-2
4. Sebastian Nava (CU) def. Gad Azulay (TWC), 6-1, 6-0
5. Jeremy Fleming (CU) def. Rodney Pineros (TWC), 6-1, 6-2
6. Cristhian Hernandez (CU) def. Bret Wade (TWC), 6-0, 6-0
1. #19 Antonio Manuel Marcelo-Rodrigues (CU) def. Lahuza-Wade (TWC), 8-1
2. Borrero-Nava (CU) def. Escobosa-Pineros (TWC), 8-3
3. Burgos-Fleming (CU) def. Azulay-Gallardo (TWC), 8-2