LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland won all six singles matches in straight sets and all three doubles outings, as the 11th-ranked Bulldogs blanked Western Kentucky, 9-0, in men’s tennis action Monday at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
It was the first of four matches this week for Cumberland (10-2), which plays at the University of Pikeville on Wednesday and Georgetown College on Friday before hosting fourth-ranked Lindsey Wilson on Saturday.
The Bulldogs started with three relatively easy wins in doubles, as 21st-ranked Pedro Rodrigues and Antonio Manuel Marcelo defeated Alex Taranda and Andrew Dish, 8-3. Pablo Borrero and Sebastian Nava won by the same score against J.T. Closi and Lance Freeman and Andres Burgos and Jeremy Fleming posted an 8-5 win versus Alex Stewart and John Bauerle.
Marcelo defeated Closi, 6-0, 6-0, at No. 1 in singles, Borrero posted a 6-4, 6-1, win over Taranda at No. 2 and Burgos recorded a 6-1, 6-3, victory at No. 3 versus Fish. Nava registered a 6-2, 7-5, win against Freeman at No. 4, while Fleming posted a 6-4, 6-1, triumph over Stewart at No. 5 and Cristhian Hernandez finished off the team victory with a 7-5, 7-5, win at No. 6 versus Bauerle.
#11 Cumberland Univ. 9, Western Kentucky 0
1. #19 Antonio Manuel Marcelo (CU) def. J.T. Closi (WKU), 6-0, 6-0
2. Pablo Borrero (CU) def. Alex Taranda (WKU), 6-4, 6-1
3. Andres Burgos (CU) def. Andrew Fish (WKU), 6-1, 6-3
4. Sebastian Nava (CU) def. Lance Freeman (WKU), 6-2, 7-5
5. Jeremy Fleming (CU) def. Alex Stewart (WKU), 6-4, 6-1
6. Cristhian Hernandez (CU) def. John Bauerle (WKU), 7-5, 7-5
1. #21 Pedro Rodrigues-Marcelo (CU) def. Taranda-Fish (WKU), 8-3
2. Borrero-Nava (CU) def. Closi-Freeman (WKU), 8-3
3. Burgos-Fleming (CU) def. Stewart-Bauerle (WKU), 8-5