LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland pulled out victories in all three doubles matches and then swept the singles outings in straight sets, as the ninth-ranked Bulldogs won 9-0 over the University of Pikeville on Wednesday in Pikeville, Ky.
Cumberland (11-2) won its fourth straight match and improved to 3-0 in Mid-South Conference play. CU plays at Georgetown College on Friday before hosting fourth-ranked Lindsey Wilson this Saturday at 2 p.m. at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts on campus.
The Bulldogs pulled out two close doubles matches, with the 21st-ranked duo of Antonio Manuel Marcelo and Pedro Rodrigues defeating Sven Rodenbusch and Dmitry Babenkov, 8-6, at No. 1 and Jeremy Fleming and Andres Burgos posting the same score at No. 3 against Connor Smith and Marcos Fondelius. Pablo Borrero and Sebastian Nava claimed an 8-3 win at No. 2 versus Miguel Perez and Lucas Oliveira.
In singles 21st-ranked Marcelo defeated Rodenbusch, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 1, while Rodrigues won 6-2, 6-4, versus Babenkov at No. 2 and Borrero claimed a 7-5, 6-2, victory over Fondelius at No. 3. Burgos registered a 6-3, 6-2, triumph at No. 4 against Gonzalo Garcia, Nava won 6-2, 6-3, versus Jose Marval at No. 5 and Fleming claimed a 6-2, 6-2, victory at No. 6 over Luis Lerchundi.
#9 Cumberland Univ. 9, Univ. of Pikeville 0
1. #21 Antonio Manuel Marcelo (CU) def. Sven Rodenbusch (PIKE), 6-1, 6-1
2. Pedro Rodrigues (CU) def. Dmitry Babenkov (PIKE), 6-2, 6-4
3. Pablo Borrero (CU) def. Marcos Fondelius (PIKE), 7-5, 6-2
4. Andres Burgos (CU) def. Gonzalo Garcia (PIKE), 6-3, 6-2
5. Sebastian Nava (CU) def. Jose Marval (PIKE), 6-2, 6-3
6. Jeremy Fleming (CU) def. Luis Lerchundi (PIKE), 6-2, 6-2
1. #19 Marcelo-Rodrigues (CU) def. Rodenbusch-Babenkov (PIKE), 8-6
2. Borrero-Nava (CU) def. Miguel Perez-Lucas Oliveira (PIKE), 8-3
3. Fleming-Burgos (CU) def. Connor Smith-Fondelius (PIKE), 8-6