LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland won just one of the doubles matches but rebounded with singles wins at Nos. 1, 2 and 5, but Gilles Cornelis outlasted Jeremy Fleming in a third-set tiebreaker, helping fourth-ranked Lindsey Wilson hold off the ninth-ranked Bulldogs, 5-4, in a match that took more than six hours on Saturday at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
Cumberland (12-3) and the Blue Raiders (10-2) battled through three-set matches in five of the six singles outings that included four tiebreakers, two in the Cornelis-Fleming match.
Lindsey Wilson started with a pair of doubles wins, as 22nd-ranked Fernando Bogajo and Francisco Charters defeated 21st-rated Antonio Manuel Marcelo and Pedro Rodrigues, 8-4, at No. 1 and Pablo Vilches and Cornelis winning by the same score at No. 3 over Fleming and Andres Burgos. CU’s Pablo Borrero and Sebastian Nava kept the Bulldogs in the match with an 8-6 victory at No. 2 over Sam Rogerson and Fabricio Morales.
Cumberland started well in singles, with 19th-ranked Marcelo defeating No. 11 Bogajo, 6-4, 4-6, 6-4, at No. 1 and Rodrigues upsetting Morales, 6-4, 2-6, 6-2, at No. 2, but the Blue Raiders took back the lead with victories in the middle of the lineup.
Marlon Dal Pont came back for a 2-6, 6-4, 6-0, win at No. 3 versus Borrero and Charters posted the only singles victory in straight sets with a 7-6 (2), 6-4, triumph at No. 4 versus Burgos.
Nava’s 7-6 (4), 2-6, 6-0, triumph at No. 5 against Vilches left only Cornelis and Fleming on the court, with both the men’s and women’s teams looking on. Cornelis lost a tiebreaker in the first set before recovering for a 6-7 (4), 6-4, 7-6 (4), victory and the final point in the dual.
Cumberland hosts Bluefield College on Monday at 3 p.m. at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts, the first of four matches this week to conclude the regular season for the Bulldogs. CU plays at Martin Methodist on Wednesday, hosts the University of the Cumberlands on Friday and hits the road again for Sunday’s match at St. Catharine College.
#4 Lindsey Wilson 5, #9 Cumberland Univ. 4
1. #19 Antonio Manuel Marcelo (CU) def. #11 Fernando Bogajo (LWC), 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
2. Pedro Rodrigues (CU) def. #45 Fabricio Morales (LWC), 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
3. Marlon Dal Pont (LWC) def. Pablo Borrero (CU), 2-6, 6-4, 6-0
4. Francisco Charters (LWC) def. Andres Burgos (CU), 7-6 (2), 6-4
5. Sebastian Nava (CU) def. Pablo Vilches (LWC), 7-6 (4), 2-6, 6-0
6. Gilles Cornelis (LWC) def. Jeremy Fleming (CU), 6-7 (4), 6-4, 7-6 (4)
1. #22 Bogajo-Charters (LWC) def. #21 Marcelo-Rodrigues (CU), 8-4
2. Borrero-Nava (CU) def. Sam Rogerson-Morales (LWC), 8-6
3. Vilches-Cornelis (LWC) def. Burgos-Fleming (CU), 8-4