LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland won all three doubles matches and four completed singles outings in straight sets, as the ninth-ranked Bulldogs defeated the University of the Cumberlands, 7-0, in men’s tennis action Friday at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
Cumberland (14-3, 6-1 Mid-South) finishes the regular season Sunday at St. Catharine College before the Mid-South Conference Championships begin next week.
Antonio Manuel Marcelo and Andres Burgos defeated Ariez Heshaam and Juan Villamizar, 8-0, at No. 1 doubles and Pablo Borrero and Sebastian Nava won by the same score at No. 2 over Eric Mikhlin and Geovanny Satama. Jeremy Fleming and Cristhian Hernandez posted an 8-5 win at No. 3 versus Tyler Smith and Daryl MacLeish.
In singles 19th-ranked Marcelo defeated Heshaam, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 1 and Borrero recorded the same score at No. 2 in a victory over Smith. Burgos posted a 7-6, 6-3, win at No. 3 against Villamizar and Nava claimed a 6-1, 6-2, triumph versus Mikhlin at No. 4.
#9 Cumberland Univ. 7, Univ. of the Cumberlands 0
1. #19 Antonio Manuel Marcelo (CU) def. Ariez Heshaam (UC), 6-1, 6-2
2. Pablo Borrero (CU) def. Tyler Smith (UC), 6-1, 6-2
3. Andres Burgos (CU) def. Juan Villamizar (UC), 7-6, 6-3
4. Sebastian Nava (CU) def. Eric Mikhlin (UC), 6-1, 6-2
5. Jeremy Fleming (CU) def. Daryl MacLeish (UC), 6-0, DNF
6. Cristhian Hernandez (CU) def. Geovanny Satama (UC), DNS
1. Marcelo-Burgos (CU) def. Heshaam-Villamizar (UC), 8-0
2. Borrero-Nava (CU) def. Mikhlin-Satama (UC), 8-0
3. Fleming-Hernandez (CU) def. Smith-MacLeish (UC), 8-5