LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland won both completed doubles matches and all four singles outings that were contested in an 8-1 victory for the 16th-ranked Bulldogs over St. Catharine College on Sunday in St. Catharine, Ky.
Cumberland (15-3, 7-1 Mid-South) started with two doubles wins, as 21st-ranked Antonio Manuel Marcelo and Pedro Rodrigues defeated Ethan Rowton and Alex Rowton, 8-2, at No. 1 and Pablo Borrero and Sebastian Nava claimed an 8-5 win at No. 2 over Andre Jacomini and Felipe Barrientos.
In singled Marcelo defeated Ethan Rowton, 6-3, 6-4, while Rodrigues won 6-1, 6-4, against Jacomini at No. 2 and Borrero posted a 6-4, 6-0, victory at No. 3 versus Alex Rowton. SCC’s only point of the match came at No. 4, where Barrientos recorded a 7-5, 2-6, 10-8, triumph over Nava.
Cumberland will host a quarterfinal match in the Mid-South Conference Championships either Tuesday or Wednesday at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts on campus. The semifinals and finals of the tournament will be played April 19-20 at the Hilary J. Boone Tennis Complex on the University of Kentucky campus in Lexington, Ky.
#9 Cumberland Univ. 8, St. Catharine College 1
1. #19 Antonio Manuel Marcelo (CU) def. Ethan Rowton (SCC), 6-3, 6-4
2. Pedro Rodrigues (CU) def. Andre Jacomini (SCC), 6-1, 6-4
3. Pablo Borrero (CU) def. Alex Rowton (SCC), 6-4, 6-0
4. Felipe Barrientos (SCC) def. Sebastian Nava (CU), 7-5, 2-6, 10-8
5. Jeremy Fleming (CU) won by default
6. Cristhian Hernandez (CU) won by default
1. #21 Marcelo-Rodrigues (CU) def. E. Rowton-A. Rowton (SCC), 8-2
2. Borrero-Nava (CU) def. Jacomini-Barrientos (SCC), 8-5
3. Burgos-Fleming (CU) won by default